Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Wick, Station Road, Railway Station

Railway Station (19th Century)

Site Name Wick, Station Road, Railway Station

Classification Railway Station (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Wick Station

Canmore ID 9212

Site Number ND35SE 73

NGR ND 36046 50888

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/9212

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Wick
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND35SE 73.00 36046 50888

Location formerly input as ND 36070 50889.

For corresponding station at Thurso Station (ND 11293 67921), see ND16NW 60.00.

ND35SE 73.01 ND 35917 50888 Goods shed

ND35SE 73.02 ND 35960 50816 Engine shed

Wick Station [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map, 1972.

Sta [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1985.

(Location cited as ND 360 508). Wick Station, built 1874 for the Sutherland and Caithness Rly. A handsome single-platform terminal building with an overall timber roof. The single-storey offices are ranged parallel to the platform, under the same roof.

J R Hume 1977.

Railway Station, Station Road. Faintly Italianate shed, by Murdoch Paterson, 1873-4.

J Gifford 1992.

Wick Railway Station, 1873-4, Murdoch Paterson. Exterior resembles a disgnified mart: long, low and gabled with deep-eaved roof and slated ridge ventilator. During refurbishment in 1985 by Lyndaal Leet, the passenger waiting area was enhanced with Caithness flagstone floors and stone planters; the ticket office became bright and welcoming, with a stripped pine interior.

E Beaton 1996.

Built in 1874, this station is a small terminus comprising a gable-ended rectangular-plan train shed with single platform, built from Caithness flags and with a slate roof supported on wooden king-post trusses. The offices are housed in a lean-to wing along the N side of the station, at the E end of which a there is gabled booking hall. Remnants of wooden lean-to sheds also survive on the S side of the station building, and all but one ancillary building (a small wooden shed) associated with the sidings and goods station had been demolished by 2002. At the time of survey, the station had recently been renovated as part of Railtrack's station regeneration programme.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2001

This station is the terminus of the Georgemas Junction - Wick portion of the 'Far North' line of the former Highland Rly. It was opened (by the Sutherland and Caithness Rly) on 28 July 1874, and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 July 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

Activities

Build (1874)

Wick Railway Station

(Institute Civil Engineers Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 0600)

All that remains of his 1874 Wick Station is the terminal building whose interior was refurbished in 1999. The original cast-iron name and date plaque can be seen below the trifoil under the small gable.

This station was also the terminus for a light railway which ran from Wick to Lybster from 1903–44.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

Publication Account (2007)

Wick Railway Station

(Institute Civil Engineers Historic Engineering Works no. HEW 0600)

Murdoch Paterson, a partner of Joseph Mitchell and Company, Inverness, was the engineer who supervised the construction of the Caithness section of the Sutherland and Caithness Railway. All that remains of his 1874 Wick Station is the terminal building whose interior was refurbished in 1999. The original cast-iron name and date plaque can be seen below the trifoil under the small gable.

This station was also the terminus for a light railway which ran from Wick to Lybster from 1903–44.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions