Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 854984

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/854984

ND35SE 73.00 36046 50888

Location formerly input as ND 36070 50889.

For corresponding station at Thurso Station (ND 11293 67921), see ND16NW 60.00.

ND35SE 73.01 ND 35917 50888 Goods shed

ND35SE 73.02 ND 35960 50816 Engine shed

Wick Station [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map, 1972.

Sta [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1985.

(Location cited as ND 360 508). Wick Station, built 1874 for the Sutherland and Caithness Rly. A handsome single-platform terminal building with an overall timber roof. The single-storey offices are ranged parallel to the platform, under the same roof.

J R Hume 1977.

Railway Station, Station Road. Faintly Italianate shed, by Murdoch Paterson, 1873-4.

J Gifford 1992.

Wick Railway Station, 1873-4, Murdoch Paterson. Exterior resembles a disgnified mart: long, low and gabled with deep-eaved roof and slated ridge ventilator. During refurbishment in 1985 by Lyndaal Leet, the passenger waiting area was enhanced with Caithness flagstone floors and stone planters; the ticket office became bright and welcoming, with a stripped pine interior.

E Beaton 1996.

Built in 1874, this station is a small terminus comprising a gable-ended rectangular-plan train shed with single platform, built from Caithness flags and with a slate roof supported on wooden king-post trusses. The offices are housed in a lean-to wing along the N side of the station, at the E end of which a there is gabled booking hall. Remnants of wooden lean-to sheds also survive on the S side of the station building, and all but one ancillary building (a small wooden shed) associated with the sidings and goods station had been demolished by 2002. At the time of survey, the station had recently been renovated as part of Railtrack's station regeneration programme.

Information from RCAHMS (MKO), 2001

This station is the terminus of the Georgemas Junction - Wick portion of the 'Far North' line of the former Highland Rly. It was opened (by the Sutherland and Caithness Rly) on 28 July 1874, and remains in regular use by passenger traffic.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 July 2006.

R V J Butt 1995.

People and Organisations

References