Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Peterhead Harbour, Dry Dock

Dry Dock (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Peterhead Harbour, Dry Dock

Classification Dry Dock (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Peterhead, North Harbour; Union Street; Peterhead Harbour, Graving Dock

Canmore ID 91044

Site Number NK14NW 147

NGR NK 13671 46112

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/91044

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Peterhead
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Banff And Buchan
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Archaeology Notes

NK14NW 147 13671 46112

Dry Dock [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map, 1969.

See also NK14NW 128.00.

(Location cited as NK 136 462). Drydock, late 19th century. A small concrete dry dock with stepped sides and a rounded end. Associated with it are single-storey workshops and two 3-storey, 4-bay rubble store blocks.

J R Hume 1977.

A dry dock adjacent to the harbour. At the time of a RCAHMS photographic survey, during February 1998, the dry dock was in use for the repair of fishing vessels, mostly.

Visited by RCAHMS (AGL), February 1998.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

Graving Dock

This dry dock, with conventional stepped sides, was sited off the North Harbour to accommodate Greenland whalers. It was built in granite from ca.1853–55 by James Simpson to a design of Thomas Stevenson and was 148 ft long, about 34 ft wide, and had entrance gates with 13–1534 ft water depth over the sill. The total cost was £6000. Stevenson wanted to use steam driven pumps to empty the dock but had to accept two 14 in. atmospheric pumps worked by six horses!

The dock was lengthened to about 192 ft in 1953–54; this was probably when the dock’s masonry was covered with concrete, and the contractor for the new welded steel ‘box’ gates was Sir Wm. Arrol & Co. The dock is still in regular use.

R Paxton and J Shipway, 2007.

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Highlands and Islands' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions