Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Princes Street, Scott Monument

Commemorative Monument

Site Name Edinburgh, Princes Street, Scott Monument

Classification Commemorative Monument

Alternative Name(s) Princes Street Gardens; Sir Walter Scott's Monument

Canmore ID 74114

Site Number NT27SE 481

NGR NT 25585 73904

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/74114

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2016.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Treasured Places - HLF funded (8 August 2007)

Built between 1840-4, this monument commemorates Sir Walter Scott. A statue of the author sits beneath the arches of a 61m high Gothic steeple, the upper parts of which carry statues of characters from his novels. Designed by the architect George Meikle Kemp, its construction was funded by public subscription.

Information from RCAHMS (SC) 8 August 2007

An image of this site has been nominated as one of Scotland's favourite archive images. For more information about the project visit http://www.treasuredplaces.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 481 25585 73904

Architect: George Meikle Kemp

Builder: David Lind

Other designs for the Scott Monument

Obelisk by W H Playfair 1835, to be 200 ft high on base of 44ft. Designed monument to go in 9 different places

Rickman & Mussey 1835 - not executed

Details transcribed from NMRS Architecture Catalogue. Correct spelling is Rickman and Hussey. Information from RCAHMS (SC) 6 May 2008

Erected 1840 - 1844 at a cost of nearly 16,000 [pounds] after designs by George M Kemp. The white marble statue of Scott is by Sir John Steell and was place in position in 1846.

Stained glass designed by David Roberts, prepared by Mr Ballentine

NT27SE 481 2558 7390

Designs also submitted by David Cousin, ?McGibbon & Ross

George Heriot by Peter Slater

REFERENCE - National Archives of Scotland

J M W Turner 1775-1851

Monument to the Memory of Sir Walter Scott

Abbotsford Appeal

Turner agrees to serve on the committee of the Abbotsford Appeal particularly as he has a 'personal regard created by my having been to Abbotsford'.

1832 GD 157/2038/5

Site of the Monument to Sir Walter Scott

'Abbotsford itself, is, in my opinion, the best and only architectural monument which can with propriety belong to that part of the country'.

1832 GD 157/2023/13

1843-1845

Few letters relating to the monument to Sir Walter Scott, Edinburgh

(Sir Thomas Dick Lauder and Lord Melville).

GD 224/511/9

National Library of Scotland

MS 15974 Note of subscription etc

MS 1631 ff 29-39 "Report on the Proc of the Sub-committee appointed 28 Nov 1833, to procure designs for the Monument to Sir Walter Scott"

The Times, 2 August 1991 - article describes murals on timber hoarding surrounding monument (missing at time of upgrade - 16.5.1997)

Kindred Spirits in Scotland: Turner & Scott by G E Finley

The Connoisseur August 1973 - text and illustrations - (missing at time of upgrade - 16.5.1997)

NMRS Print Room/Rare Books No 33

A Eddington Edinburgh and The Lothians 1904

Opposite p19 Photograph of Princes Street, showing Scott Monument, 'Princes Street, Edinburgh (Looking West)' 'Photo by A.A. Inglis'

p22 Photograph - in text - of Scott Monument 'Scott Monument, Princes Street' 'Pike & Co' 'Photo by Marshall Wane & Co'

Article George Kemp and his Monument RIAS Quarterly 1929 No 29 p. 1

Article The Scott Monument and its Architect Architectural Review Pamphlet July 1944 p27

The Scott Monument Guide 1949 - text and photographs D5/E(P)

NLS Fettercairn Papers, Mss Acc, 4796 Box 57 - letter concerning subscription for/and building of monument

J G Dunbar Building Chronicle Vol 2 p139 Dec 1st 1856 - text

Activities

Photographic Record (1950)

Photographs of Jenners Department Store taken by George Hay.

Construction (1840 - 1844)

Erected 1840 - 1844 at a cost of nearly 16,000 [pounds] after designs by George M Kemp. The white marble statue of Scott is by Sir John Steell and was place in position in 1846.

Stained glass designed by David Roberts, prepared by Mr Ballentine

NT27SE 481 2558 7390

Unexecuted (1835)

Other designs for the Scott Monument

Obelisk by W H Playfair 1835, to be 200 ft high on base of 44ft. Designed monument to go in 9 different places

Unexecuted (1835)

Rickman & Mussey 1835 - not executed

Aerial Photography (14 August 2006)

Aerial Photography (3 August 2006)

Aerial Photography (14 March 2007)

Photographic Record (1840 - 1844)

Design (1835 - 1844)

Photographic Survey (1989)

Aerial Photography (1993)

Aerial Photography (1 September 1994)

Photographic Record (1860)

Photographic Record (1900 - 1930)

Photographic Record (1970)

Aerial Photography (1985)

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions