Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Stenton, Old Parish Church

Architectural Fragment (14th Century), Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (16th Century), Dovecot (Post Medieval), Font (Medieval)

Site Name Stenton, Old Parish Church

Classification Architectural Fragment (14th Century), Burial Ground (Medieval), Church (16th Century), Dovecot (Post Medieval), Font (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Stenton Old Parish Church; Stenton Tower

Canmore ID 57841

Site Number NT67SW 8

NGR NT 62152 74276

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57841

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Bluesky International Limited 2025. Public Sector Viewing Terms

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Oblique aerial view centred village with country house and walled garden adjacent, taken from the E.
Oblique aerial view centred village with country house and walled garden adjacent, taken from the E.View of  headstone to Robert Robertson d. 1724 aged 9 months, Stenton Old Parish Church Burial Ground.Oblique aerial view centred village with country house and walled garden adjacent, taken from the E.Photographs and research notes relating to graveyard monuments in Stenton Churchyard, East Lothian. 
Photographs and research notes relating to graveyard monuments in Stenton Churchyard, East Lothian. 
Stenton, Old Parish Church, NT67SW 8, Ordnance Survey index card, RectoView from NW.View of Stenton church and tower.Oblique aerial view centred on the church, burial ground, old church, mausoleum and village, taken from the NE.Oblique aerial view centred on the church, burial ground, old church, mausoleum and village, taken from the NW.Oblique aerial view centred on the church, burial ground, old church, mausoleum and village, taken from the WNW.Oblique aerial view of Stenton centred on the church, burial-ground, old church and mausoleum, taken from the SE.General view of Stenton church tower.Oblique aerial view of Stenton centred on the church, burial-ground, old church and mausoleum, taken from the S.Photographs and research notes relating to graveyard monuments in Stenton Churchyard, East Lothian. 
View of gravestones and tower.Stenton churchyard.
Patrick Logan d.1742. west face; winged cherub at top, blank inscription panel bordered by crossed spades and crossbones supended on ribbons. 'MOMENTO MORI' scroll and skull at base of stone.. Winged cherubs on slopes of tympanum.Stenton churchyard.
Inscription illegible. East face; portrait of gentleman holding skull in pediment. Inscription panel bordered by various emblems of death and mortality.View of Stenton church tower.View of Stenton church tower.Stenton, Old Parish Church, NT67SW 8, Ordnance Survey index card, RectoView from S.View from SSW showing part of SE front of house with SSE and WSW fronts of tower in backgroundView of  headstone to Patrick Logan d. 1742, Stenton Old Parish Church Burial Ground.General view of Stenton Church and tower from E.View of W tower.Oblique aerial view centred on the church, burial ground, old church, mausoleum and village, taken from the NW.Oblique aerial view centred on the church, burial ground, old church, mausoleum and village, taken from the SSW.Photographs and research notes relating to graveyard monuments in Stenton Churchyard, East Lothian. 
Stenton, Old Parish Church, NT67SW 8, Ordnance Survey index card, RectoView from SSW showing SSE and WSW fronts of towerView of S arched doorway, Stenton Old Parish Church.View of S arched doorway and sacristy.Oblique aerial view centred village with country house and walled garden adjacent, taken from the ENE.Photographs and research notes relating to graveyard monuments in Stenton Churchyard, East Lothian. 
View from S.Headstone for Patrick Logan d.1742. East face; winged cherub at top, Green Man beneath. Winged cherubs on slopes of tympanum. Stenton churchyard, East Lothian.Stenton churchyard.
Robert Robertson d.1724. Putto standing on skull, sowing and reaping. 'Momento Mori' scroll above.View of  headstone with decorated side panel and hand holding skull, Stenton Old Parish Church Burial Ground.View of  headstone with decorated side panel and hand holding skull, Stenton Old Parish Church Burial Ground.View of Stenton church tower and gravestones.General view of Stenton church tower.View from SE.Oblique aerial view centred on the church, burial ground, old church, mausoleum and village, taken from the SW.View of  headstone 1742, Stenton Old Parish Church burial ground.Side view of headstone showing carved head, Stenton Old Parish Church Burial Ground.General view of Stenton church tower.

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Stenton (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT67SW 8 62152 74276

(NT 6215 7427) Church (NR) (Remains of)

OS 6" map (1957)

The remains of the former parish church, presumably that built in 1561 on its transfer from Pitcox (NT67NW 15). The whole structure appears to be 16th c. although the apparently 14th c. finial on the structure covering the Well of the Holy Rood (NT67SW 7) is said to have come from this church.

The church has been oblong, with a tower at the west end (in use as a dovecot in 1915), and a small sacristy (used as a burial-place by the Sydserffs of Ruchlaw) projecting from the north wall. The walls, of roughly coursed rubble, stand to a maximum height of 8ft.

RCAHMS 1924; J R Walker 1883

As described above.

Revised at 25".

Visited by OS (RD) 6 April 1966.

Architecture Notes

EXTERNAL REFERENCE:

Scottish Record Office

Sydserff Aisle in Stenton Church.

Permission granted to John Sydserff of Rouchlaw to build an aisle in the back parts of the Church in order to erect a loft for the accomodation of his family. He undertakes to make good any damage caused by the work.

1772 GD205/Box39/Portfolio 9

Activities

Field Visit (1 September 1915)

The ruin of the old parish church lies within the churchyard adjoining the modern church in the village of Stenton. It is an oblong structure (fig. 158 [plan]) built of local rubble roughly coursed and measures internally 63 feet along the incomplete east and west walls and 18 feet from north to south; the highest portion of walling standing is the south wall, which in parts is some 8 feet in height. On the north there projects a small sacristy, 12 feet by 18 ¼ feet, now occupied as the burial place of the Sydserffs of Ruchlaw.

At the western end of the church, but not centering with it, there is a tower (fig. 25) of two tiers, square on plan, which is complete, well preserved and is used as a dovecot. It is built of the same rubble as the church but in more regular courses with long and short quoins. The tower appears to be a structure of the16th century, to which period the church also may be assigned. The church is entered from the south by a doorway with a segmental head in two orders each moulded with a quirked edge roll. The jambs are of similar section and have splayed stops and rudimentary capitals following the plan of the mouldings above and below. A window west of the doorway has a splayed and back set margin of later date than the doorway. The tower contains three storeys, all unvaulted, the two lower of which have communicated with the church. It is entered by a doorway in the south wall, which has splayed jambs and lintel; communication between the floors has been by a ladder. The upper portion of the walls is intaken, where a splayed offset course returns horizontally. The upper storey is lit by a round-headed window in each wall with deeply splayed jambs. The gables are crowstepped, and the roof is of wood covered with slates. There was a gallery in the west end entered from a fore-stair.

FONT.There is a circular font at the eastern end of the church, which is now used as a receptacle for plants. The external diameter is 2 feet 7 inches, the total height 2 feet 1 inch, and it has a lip on the exterior rim to receive a leaden lining. It is illustrated and described in Proc. Soc. Ant. Scot. xxi., p. 357.

CROSS SOCKET. Beside the font is a stone, gabletted on each face and mortised on the upper surface to receive a small cross shaft, which is evidently the termination of a pinnacle or the apex of the east gable. It appears to be earlier than any portion of the present church and dates probably from the late 13th or early 14th century.

HISTORICAL NOTE. The parish was of old known as Pitcox or ‘Pitcokis’, and the parish church was at the village of that name a little over a mile to the north-east, where now only the site of the old church is known, Pitcox was a prebend in the collegiate church of Dunbar (1). The parish church was transferred to its present position in 1561 (2).

RCAHMS 1924, visited 1 September 1915.

(1) Act. Parl. Scot. iv., p. 294; (2) Fasti Eccles. Scot. (new edit.), i., p. 420.

Photographic Survey (September 1960 - 1962)

Photographic survey of dovecots in East Lothian by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1960-1962.

Photographic Survey (December 1961)

Survey of Stenton Old Parish Church, tower and churchyard, East Lothian, by Kitty Cruft at the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1961.

The tower was at this time used as a dovecot.

Project (1996 - 2006)

A project recording graveyard monuments within the parish of Traprain.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions