Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Gamelshiel

Tower House (Medieval)

Site Name Gamelshiel

Classification Tower House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Gamelshiel Castle; Millknowe Farm; Hall Burn

Canmore ID 57537

Site Number NT66SW 14

NGR NT 64982 64801

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/57537

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council East Lothian
  • Parish Stenton (East Lothian)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District East Lothian
  • Former County East Lothian

Archaeology Notes

NT66SW 14 64982 64801

NT 6498 6480 Gamelshiel Castle (NR)

(Remains of)

OS 6" map (NG)

Gamelshiel Castle. The ruin of this building is situated 1/2 mile north of Millknowe Farm, on the left bank of the Hall Burn. The site is level, and the portions of building upon it consist of parts of the north and south walls of a small tower. The external width of the structure is 22 feet 6 inches; its length is indeterminable. The walls now standing are 20 feet high and some 4 feet thick, built mainly of whinstone in narrow courses. The basement floor has been vaulted.

Historical Note. - in 1505 John Forrest succeeded his father John Forrest in the lands of 'Gamelshields'. (Inquisit Spec Hadd, No.392). But in 1679 James Home entered upon the lands of Wester 'Gamelshields' as heir to his father George Home of 'Gamelshields' (Inquisit Spec Hadd, No.344).

RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913

Walls as shown on 6" Sheet. Good condition.

OS Reviser (AEW) 24 July 1952

As described by the RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 14 April 1966.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions