Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Field Visit

Date 6 June 1913

Event ID 1087921

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1087921

The ruin of this building is situated 1/2 mile north of Millknowe Farm, on the left bank of the Hall Burn. The site is level, and the portions of building upon it consist of parts of the north and south walls of a small tower. The external width of the structure is 22 feet 6 inches; its length is indeterminable. The walls now standing are 20 feet high and some 4 feet thick, built mainly of whinstone in narrow courses. The basement floor has been vaulted.

HISTORICAL NOTE.In 1505 John Forrest succeeded his father John Forrest in the lands of ‘Gamelshields’ (1). But in 1679 James Home entered upon the lands of Wester ‘Gamelshields' as heir to his father George Home of ‘Gamelshields’ (2). The superior of the lands was Hepburn of Hailes (3).

RCAHMS 1924, visited 6 June 1913.

(1) Inquisit. Spec. Hadd. No. 392; (2) Ibid. No. 344; (3) R.M.S. s.a. 1451, No. 513.

People and Organisations

References