Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 719828

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/719828

NT66SW 14 64982 64801

NT 6498 6480 Gamelshiel Castle (NR)

(Remains of)

OS 6" map (NG)

Gamelshiel Castle. The ruin of this building is situated 1/2 mile north of Millknowe Farm, on the left bank of the Hall Burn. The site is level, and the portions of building upon it consist of parts of the north and south walls of a small tower. The external width of the structure is 22 feet 6 inches; its length is indeterminable. The walls now standing are 20 feet high and some 4 feet thick, built mainly of whinstone in narrow courses. The basement floor has been vaulted.

Historical Note. - in 1505 John Forrest succeeded his father John Forrest in the lands of 'Gamelshields'. (Inquisit Spec Hadd, No.392). But in 1679 James Home entered upon the lands of Wester 'Gamelshields' as heir to his father George Home of 'Gamelshields' (Inquisit Spec Hadd, No.344).

RCAHMS 1924, visited 1913

Walls as shown on 6" Sheet. Good condition.

OS Reviser (AEW) 24 July 1952

As described by the RCAHMS.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 14 April 1966.

People and Organisations

References