Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Archaeological site card index ('495' cards)

551 166/1/1

Description Archaeological site card index ('495' cards)

Date c. 1947 to 1990

Collection Ordnance Survey

Catalogue Number 551 166/1/1

Category All Other

Scope and Content The ‘OS 495’ cards were one of the primary products of the revision programme undertaken by the Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division between about 1947 and 1983, and were subsequently maintained and amended by RCAHMS until 1990. The collection comprises 50 drawers, each of which holds c.1,100 cards. The cards record detailed information on the geographical and administrative location of the site, its form, condition and period. Text was entered on the record card by an OS Officer Recorder (identified by R) who prepared a summary description of the monument based on published or unpublished sources. In some instance this is succinct, in others a verbatim copy of a published description (such as a description by RCAHMS), in others still a summary of an excavation report. Each card records the date on which the summary was written and the initials of the record er (e.g. R1 BRS 10 October 1980). These ‘desk-based assessments’ are generally followed by one or more descriptions provided by a Field Investigator (identified by an F or F.I.). These can be identified by the attribution that records the date of visit and the identity of the Investigator (e.g. ‘Visited by OS (J L D) 16 June 1971’, in this case J L Davidson). The cards also include measured sketches prepared by OS staff to aid the depiction of monuments on their maps, or to clarify interpretation. Photographs are also appended, some of which only survive as prints attached to a record card. In some cases copies of plans or photographs published elsewhere are also appended.

Administrative History Details of the origins of the Ordnance Survey’s Archaeology Division can be found in Seymour’s A History of the Ordnance Survey (1980). The work of the archaeology division grew from c.1947 and a branch was opened in Edinburgh in 1958, manned by 7 staff members. The Scottish branch of the Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division was transferred to RCAHMS in April 1983. The record cards and the associated record sheets were maintained by RCAHMS staff until 1990 when a project to transfer the text to a database was completed. This included the addition of new cards to the system (generally marked RCAHMS or National Monuments Record of Scotland) to record new discoveries, or the existence of collection material. Copies of the card index were shared widely by the OS in the 1970s to both national and local agencies and they are one of the fundamental building blocks of both Canmore and the local authority HERs in Scotland. This element of the collection comprises some 55,000 record cards with approximately 2,500 sketch surveys and 4,500 photographs attached.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/1535334

Collection Hierarchy - Sub-Group Level

Collection Level (551 166) Ordnance Survey

Group Level (551 166/1) Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division

>> Sub-Group Level (551 166/1/1) Archaeological site card index ('495' cards)

Preview Category Catalogue Number Title Date Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 923642 Copy of complete OS card with copies of 3 drawings: plan and two general views. 1975 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 923645 Copy of complete OS card with written details. 1975 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 923646 Copy of complete OS card with written details. 1975 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 923647 Copy of complete OS card with written details. 1975 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 923649 Copy of complete OS card showing copy of drawing of cup-marked stone. 1975 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 923653 OS '495' card 1975 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1141737 Plan, copied from OS '495' card c. 1971 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1167930 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 26/10/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1167959 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 4/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1166652 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 11/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1160004 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 2/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images DP 070552 Plan, copied from '495' card 2/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1160010 OS Archaeology Division, 495 Card, 18/6/1976 16/6/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1157776 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 15/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1161268 Plan and section, copied from OS '495' card 1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1163918 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 26/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1154517 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 15/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1173343 OS Archaeology Division, 495 card 12/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1173344 Site plan, copied from OS '495' card 12/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1173151 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 15/11/1976 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1308612 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 7/1970 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images DP 151909 Plan, copied from OS '495' card 6/6/1961 Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1541558 OS '495' card with printed photographs Item Level
On-line Digital Images On-line Digital Images SC 1541559 Plan, copied from '495' card 2/11/1972 Item Level

People and Organisations

Events