Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Edinburgh, Cramond Road South, Lauriston Castle

Country House (19th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Cramond Road South, Lauriston Castle

Classification Country House (19th Century), Tower House (16th Century)

Canmore ID 52030

Site Number NT27NW 1

NGR NT 20294 76097

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52030

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Archaeology Notes

NT27NW 1.00 20294 76097

NT27NW 1.01 203 761 well

NT27NW 1.02 20291 76070 Sundial

(NT 2030 7609) Lauriston Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1966)

The mansion of Lauriston Castle is a large, mainly modern structure which has grown round the late 16th century tower which forms the SW angle. This tower, which is oblong, 40' x 24', has a central projecting tower on the N, containing a stair. It is now the property of Edinburgh Town Council, and open to the public as a period museum.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1929, visited 1920; N Tranter 1962-70.

No change to previous information.

Visited by OS (B S) 26 November 1975.

NT 203 759 Four transects were made across the parkland of Lauriston Castle at right-angles to Cramond Road South in order to attempt to establish whether any trace of a road could be found along the projected line of the N section of Cramond Road South. Transects 1 and 2 were respectively 121m and 75m N from the Lodge gateway, and Transects 3 and 4 were 28m and 63m S. In all except Transect 4 high-resistance areas were found along the projected line, and in Transect 2 a section derived from a linear array measurement showed a plausible cross-section. Other high-resistance areas suggested dumping and levelling of the parkland and the lack of any similar high resistance in Transect 4 suggests robbing out.

Sponsors: Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society, University of Edinburgh - Dept of Geology and Geophysics.

H M D Jones 2000

NT 2030 7585 Within the grounds of Lauriston Castle and a little to the N of the gatehouse, ground clearance for the creation of a picnic area revealed an irregular line of stone. Upon cleaning, pottery including late and post-medieval material was found, though the stone line was found to be an outcrop of bedrock.

Sponsors: City of Edinburgh Council Archaeology Service, Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society.

V E Dean 2001

NT 203 759 A fifth transect was made on the S edge of the Lauriston Castle grounds to complete the study previously reported (DES 2000, 35). The area surveyed extended 14m into the park from the S wall and was 22m long across the projected line of Cramond Road South. No high-resistance readings were logged that could indicate crossing the line of a road. The southern area of the parkland was added late to the estate and was for many years under cultivation; robbing out is possible. A full report covering all transects is in preparation.

Sponsors: Historic Scotland, Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society, City of Edinburgh Council Archaeology Service.

H M D Jones 2001

NT 2015 7608 The site for the new Japanese Garden at Lauriston Castle lies immediately to the W of the 16th-century tower house, within the designed gardens surrounding the house. Due to its close proximity to the tower house and the possibility that it may overly the route of the Roman road leading from the nearby fort at Cramond, an archaeological evaluation was undertaken.

Eleven trenches were machine-excavated, sampling c 10% of the area. These were targeted based upon the results of the earlier geophysical survey, which suggested the location of several large areas of demolition material, a possible circular ditched enclosure or garden features, and shallow paths or walls and drains relating to the post-medieval use of the site as a garden.

The results of the evaluation demonstrated that the possible ditched enclosure was natural in origin, representing a change in the underlying natural clays. Only two significant archaeological features were discovered: a small late/post-medieval pit and the foundations of a clay-bonded late medieval wall. The wall probably represents the western boundary wall for the estate surrounding the original 16th-century tower house.

Sponsor: City of Edinburgh Council.

J A Lawson 2001

A geophysical survey was carried out on ground next to the Lauriston Castle estate by Edinburgh Archaeological Field Society. The land, known as Farl O' Cakes Field, was subject to a geophysical survey. Often considered to be the site of a Roman burial ground, a number of anomalies were found but could not be clearly identified.

H M D Jones, 2006

Architecture Notes

NT27NW 1.00 20294 76097

See Architecture Catalogue, as drawings still to be entered into database.

ARCHITECT: William Burn, 1827 - alterations and additions

W. H. Playfair, 1845 - gabled porches

OWNER: Edinburgh Corporation

NMRS REFERENCE:

Printroom:

W Schomberg Scott Photograph Collection Acc.no. 1997/39

View looking up to turrets

Inglis Photograph Collection Acc.no.1994/90

Exterior: entrance front, oblique view of entrance front, 2 prints (different formats).

Interior: drawing room, 2 prints. dining room, 2 identical prints and 1 with different table cover (see: C 12772).

REFERENCE:

NATIONAL LIBRARY OF SCOTLAND

MS 9704 Letters from W H Playfair re building and gardens and progress of do 1844 etc.

Nattees Drawings, Vol. IV, nos 40 - 42 - 3 drawings

D3/E (P)

NMRS Miscellaneous

Sir Walter Scott's Journal, December 3rd 1827

"Went with Tom Allen to see his building at Lauriston where he has displayed good taste - supporting instead of tearing down and destroying the old chateau which once belonged to the famous Mississippi Law. The additions are in very good taste, and will make a comfortable house. Mr Burn, architect, would feign have had the old house pulled down, which I wonder at in him, though it would have had the practice of most of his brethren."

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Watching Brief (1 August 2013 - 31 August 2013)

An archaeological watching brief was undertaken during the excavation of five test-trenches in the grounds of Lauriston Castle, Edinburgh as part of the installation of a new water mains. No remains of archaeological importance were uncovered.

CFA Archaeology 2013 (A. Brown) OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-158803

Watching Brief (27 February 2014 - 7 March 2014)

A watching brief was carried out during the excavations for the installation of a new water main surrounding Lauriston Castle, Edinburgh. A number of features were observed which were related to the drainage and use of the surrounding landscaped gardens. These included two stone surfaced paths, a rubble filled drain, three stone slab covered drains and a possible wall foundation.

Funder: RPS

Information from Gary Savory (CFA Archaeology Ltd) April 2014. OASIS ID: cfaarcha1-211333

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions