Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, 67 Commercial Street, Custom House

Custom House (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, 67 Commercial Street, Custom House

Classification Custom House (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Leith Docks; Customs House

Canmore ID 52018

Site Number NT27NE 89

NGR NT 27030 76584

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/52018

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27NE 89.00 27030 76584

NT27NE 89.01 27030 76615 Stable Range

For (adjacent to N) Leith Docks, see NT27NE 57.00.

Custom House [NAT]

OS 1:12350 map, 1970.

ARCHITECT: Robert Reid

William Burn 1825

David McGibbon & A O Turnbull - builders

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Built 1810-12, architect Robert Reid; additions by William Burn, 1824.

J C Irons 1901; RCAHMS 1951; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker 1984.

Activities

Photographic Survey (May 1965)

Photographic survey by the Scottish National Buildings Record/Ministry of Work in May 1965.

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (13 May 2002)

Large coat of arms of George III carved in high relief. A central circular shield surrounded by a motto, is surmounted by a front-facing helmet with barred visor, on top of which stands a lion. The shield is flanked by a collared unicorn (left), with thistles, and a gilded crowned lion (right) with roses.

Inspected By : I.C. Grant

Inscriptions : Around circular shield (raised gilded letters): HONI . SOIT . QUI . MAL . Y . PENSE

On ribbon at bottom (gilded letters): DIEU ET MON DROIT

Signatures : None Visible

Design period : 1810-1812

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0572)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions