Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

North Queensferry Harbour, Town Pier

Pier (19th Century)

Site Name North Queensferry Harbour, Town Pier

Classification Pier (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ferry Pier; St Margaret's Haven; St Margaret's Bay; Queensferry Narrows; Queensferry Passage

Canmore ID 50917

Site Number NT18SW 98.03

NGR NT 13096 80274

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/50917

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Inverkeithing
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NT18SW 98.03 13096 80274

Formerly entered as NT18SW 112.

For corresponding Hawes ('Ferry') Pier at South Queensferry, Lothian (NT 13633 78497), see NT17NW 172.00.

Town Pier [NAT]

OS 1:2500 map, 1966.

John Paterson, Engineer

North Queensferry. Pier, W of the battery

Advertisement for tenders, 1805

(Edinburgh Evening Courant, June 29, 1805)

(Undated) information in NMRS.

The location assigned to this record defines the mispoint of the structure. The available (GIS) map evidence indicates that it extends from NT c. 13053 80178 to NT c. 13129 80350.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 6 March 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (1999)

At the foot of the main street are two nineteenth-century buildings with close associations with the Ferry Passage and shipping. The first, a small hexagonal lighthouse figure 14, was erected c 1810. Built of droved ashlar, it is capped with a copper lantern. Nearby, and of a similar date, stands the Tower House, or Signal House, or Mount Hooly figure 10. An octagonal building, with a modern extension to the north, it functioned as the waiting room for ferry travellers and the base of Captain Scott, the first superintendent of the Queensferry Passage. Captain Scott's dwelling house, Seabank Cottage, still stands on the south side of the present main road leading westwards out of the village.

Mount Hooly stands at the head of the Town Pier figure 13. Rebuilt in 1810-13, according to the plans of engineer John Rennie and extended in 1828 by Thomas Telford, this was the landing point for the ferry boats crossing from South Queensferry.

Information from ‘Historic North Queensferry and the Peninsula: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1999).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions