Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Linlithgow, Union Canal, Manse Road Basin

Canal Basin (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Linlithgow, Union Canal, Manse Road Basin

Classification Canal Basin (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Manse Basin; Rockville; Manse Road, Rockfield Basin

Canmore ID 49249

Site Number NT07NW 73.01

NGR NT 0037 7693

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/49249

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council West Lothian
  • Parish Linlithgow
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District West Lothian
  • Former County West Lothian

Recording Your Heritage Online

Canal Basin

Surely one of the most pleasant places in which to linger in this lovely burgh - tranquil canal atmosphere and splendid views to the palace - bounded on the east by Bridge 43, to the south by the Canal Museum (c.1820 stables for the canal horses) and to the west by Canal House, c.1835, a standard three-bay villa (home of Hugh Baird, the canal engineer) distinguished by its round-arched door and splendidly sinuous fanlight. To the north the basin is bounded by Canal Cottages, c.1840 (built as the Union Canal Inn), which are split-level, one floor entered from the towpath, and the other from Canal Terrace (rather like the Colonies in Edinburgh). Restored by Gordon Duncan Somerville, c.1974. With the restoration of the canal to navigational condition, this quarter has a new vitality as walkers, cyclists and boats pass, and linger, on the route between Edinburgh and Falkirk.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NT07NW 73.01 NT 0037 7693.

The trip boat Victoria, acquired by the Linlithgow Union Canal Society in 1978, was able to sail from this basin as far W as the Avon Aqueduct once the Kettlestoun Breach (a section which was de-watered due to embankment leaks in the 1980s) and the culverted Preston Road bridge had been opened up again.

G Hutton 1993.

This basin has a tea-room and museum run by the Linlithgow Union Canal Society, an organisation run entirely by volunteers. This society also runs two trip boats, the Victoria (a replica of a Victorian steam packet) and the all-electric St. Magdalene, as well as hiring out other vessels, including rowing boats.

H Brown 1997.

This sizeable basin on the S side of the canal is clearly visible on the 1st edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire 1856, sheet 5), on the 2nd edition of the OS 6-inch map (Linlithgowshire 1897, sheet 5NE), on the current edition of the OS 1:10000 map (1976) and on the OS 1:10000 raster map (ND).

Information from RCAHMS (MD) 29 March 2001.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions