Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Manse Road basin, view from bridge no.43 to east Digital image of E 5922 CN

SC 796886

Description Manse Road basin, view from bridge no.43 to east Digital image of E 5922 CN

Date 31/7/2001

Collection Records of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland (RCAHMS), Edinbu

Catalogue Number SC 796886

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of E 5922 CN

Scope and Content Manse Road Basin, Union Canal, Linlithgow, West Lothian, from east This view looking west from Bridge No 43 shows boats and canoes on the basin. The basin has large stone blocks edging the sides and the towpath (right) continues parallel with the canal into the background. Horses would have walked along this path whilst pulling 'lighters' (barges), but it is now mainly used as a cycle route. This basin would have been where barges which were bringing goods into or transporting them out of Linlithgow would dock. It has become a centre for the regeneration of the canal as it is the base for the Linlithgow Union Canal Society, which was founded in 1975. This society operates canal trips on a replica Victorian steam packet boat and a modern steel vessel. They have also converted a cottage and stables into a tearoom and museum. The government authorised the construction of the Union Canal in 1817 and appointed Hugh Baird (1770-1827) as the chief engineer. The main purpose of the canal was to provide an economical route for the transportation of coal and lime between Edinburgh and Glasgow via the Forth & Clyde Canal (1768-90). The 51km-long canal was opened in 1822 at a cost of £461,760, almost double the estimate, and it ran from Lock 16 at Camelon, Falkirk to Fountainbridge, Edinburgh. Except where the two canals are joined at Falkirk, the canal was built with no locks because it followed the contours of the hills. The Union Canal was closed in 1965, two years after the Forth & Clyde Canal, and the construction of new roads meant that it was impossible for boats to travel along the full length of these watercourses. However, the £84.5m Millennium Link project enabled both canals to reopen in 2002. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/796886

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © Crown Copyright: HES

Licence Type: Internally Generated

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions