Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Old Tulliallan Castle

Castle (Medieval), Garden (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Hall House (Medieval)

Site Name Old Tulliallan Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval), Garden (Period Unassigned)(Possible), Hall House (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Tulliallan, Hall-house; Tully Allan Castle

Canmore ID 48109

Site Number NS98NW 5

NGR NS 92696 88776

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/48109

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish Tulliallan
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District Dunfermline
  • Former County Fife

Archaeology Notes

NS98NW 5 92696 88776

(NS 9268 8877) Tulliallan Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1966)

Tulliallan Castle, though ruinous, is one of the best surviving examples of a Scottish hall-house, probably built in the early 14th century within a broad ditch comparable to that at the Peel of Gargunnock or Peel of Gartfarren (homestead moats - see and ). The upper storeys of the castle have been remodelled in the 15th century, and later additions have been made.

J G Dunbar 1966; RCAHMS 1933; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

The foundations of Tulliallan Castle are built on a large natural rock outcrop. The causeway entrance over the ditch on the S is stone-packed, and the remains of a strong curtain wall exist in the SW corner. The base of the ditch varies from 4.0m to 5.0m in breadth and the outer upcast mound rises in places to a height of 1.5m above the bottom of the ditch. The whole site is so densely overgrown that approach is difficult except from the S. The remains are in poor condition.

Visited by OS (M H) 13 July 1953.

Possible 17th century garden.

N Hynd 1984.

Activities

Photographic Survey (July 1960)

Photographic survey of Old Tulliallan Castle, Fife, by the Ministry of Work/Scottish National Buildings Record in July 1960.

Publication Account (1987)

Tulliallan Castle is one of the best preserved examples of a comparatively rare building type, the Scottish hall-house or, more accurately, upper-hall-house. It is also unusual in having the principal doorway and a number of dwelling rooms in the vaulted undercroft. The doorway is defended by a drawbridge, portcullis and sliding draw-bars. It gives access to the stair to the hall and to a storage chamber or ante-room in the western part of the undercroft. At the east end, the undercroft contains a handsome apartment with a fireplace and stepped window seats. A row of piers down the centre of the undercroft supports quadripartite ribbed vaulting. The upper floor or hall has been remodelled and little comment can be made on the former arrangements; if it was occupied as a single room, it would have measured fully 18 m in length. It has been suggested that the wings to the north are later additions.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: Fife and Tayside’, (1987).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions