Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Normangill

Henge (Neol/bronze Age)

Site Name Normangill

Classification Henge (Neol/bronze Age)

Canmore ID 47386

Site Number NS92SE 11

NGR NS 9725 2212

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/47386

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council South Lanarkshire
  • Parish Crawford
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Clydesdale
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS92SE 11 9725 2212

(NS 9725 2212) Henge (NR)

OS 6" map (1962)

This henge was in a similar condition when seen in 1959.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 20 July 1959.

This Class II henge is situated at 280m OD, 480m S of Normangill farmhouse. A road runs transversely through it, destroying a central strip 10.7m wide. The surviving portions of the bank and internal ditch are, however, relatively well preserved, and the two opposing entrances are still clearly visible.

Oval on plan, the henge measures 61m by 55m from crest to crest of the bank, with the longer axis aligned about 17 W of N. The bank is now not more than 0.7m high and, as revealed in section by the road, is composed predominately of earth. The construction of a ciruclar turf sheepfold has removed the SW end of the bank. The ditch, which is separated from the inner edge of the bank by a berm 3.0m in average width, is at present about 4.0m wide and 0.3m deep. At both entrances the gap in the bank measures about 23m in width, and that in the ditch about 17m in width. The interior is featureless.

RCAHMS 1978, visited 1975.

Activities

Publication Account (1985)

Unfortunately, this classic later neolithic ritual monument was not discovered until after the track of the railway (now the public road) had vbeen driven through its centre; nevertheless it remains one of Scotland's best examples of a henge. It consists of an oval enclosure measuting 40m by 35m within a ditch 4m across and up to 0.3m deep, which is separated from its accompanying bank by a wide berm. The opposing entrances, which are unusually broad, lie on the north-north-west and south-south-east respectively. Oliginally, there may have been a setting of Iarge timber posts placed close to the lip of the ditch, leaving an open area at the centre where the lituals would have been pelfomled. On the south-west a recent tutf sheepfold has been built over the terminal of the west bank.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: The Clyde Estuary and Central Region’, (1985).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions