Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Loch Lomond, 'the Kitchen'

Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Loch Lomond, 'the Kitchen'

Classification Crannog (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Keppinch; Clairinsch

Canmore ID 43479

Site Number NS49SW 2

NGR NS 4144 9015

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Buchanan
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Archaeology Notes

NS49SW 2 4144 9015.

NS 4144 9015. The islet known as 'The Kitchen' is probably a crannog. Though featureless, it consists of stones and boulders, not solid rock like a natural islet. Nimmo refers to this islet as the "ruins of a castle" lying below the loch surface.

RCAHMS 1963; W Nimmo 1817.

Generally as described. The remains of this crannog measure 18m E-W by 7m.

Visited by OS (I A) 21 March 1973.

NS 414 901. This crannog consists of a mound of earth and stones.

RCAHMS 1963; RCAHMS 1979.

On the NE end of the island of Clairinsh are the remains of a crannog known at The Kitchen. It is a well-known site and is unmistakably of artificial origin. On the day of the survey the top of the site was above the water and there are a number of small trees growing on it but it is often submerged, especiallyt in Winter when the loch level is high.

The bottom edge of the site is clear and the break of slope between the top and the sides is also obvious. On the top there is an alignment of stones which appears to delineate a roughly oval platform in the middle of the site. the outline of what seemed to be a small building was noted by the Islay Archaeological Group in 1965. Whether this relates to the original construction is not clear. On the SW side of the site there is a slight protuberance which may have been for landing a boat but requires more detailed survey to establish whether this is the case. The water between the Kitchen and Clairinsh is shallow but there is no evidence of a causeway or walkway between them.

The Kitchen may have been used as a Council Island for the Clan Buchanan who had their clan seat on Clairinsh since 1225. The use of an artificial island as a meeting place during the medieval period is a well known occurence and can also be seen at the seat of Clan Donald at Finlaggan on Islay (NR36NE 23).

STUA and FIRAT (2/1998); NMRS MS 993/5

NS 414 901 The Kitchen or Keppinch. Distance to shore 62m; diameter 28m; height 1.7m; depth underwater - above surface. No timbers located but remains of a stone oval-shaped platform in the middle of the site.

Sponsors: Historic Scotland, Friends of Loch Lomond, Loch Lomond Park Authority/SNH, Dunbartonshire Enterprise.

F Baker and N Dixon 1998.


Field Visit (30 July 1957)


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions