Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Paisley, Ferguslie Thread Works

Thread Works (19th Century)

Site Name Paisley, Ferguslie Thread Works

Classification Thread Works (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Ferguslie Mills

Canmore ID 43172

Site Number NS46SE 45

NGR NS 46906 63422

NGR Description Centred on NS 46906 63422

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/43172

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Renfrewshire
  • Parish Paisley (Renfrew)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Renfrew
  • Former County Renfrewshire

Archaeology Notes

NS46SE 45.00 centred on NS 46906 63422

NS46SE 45.01 NS 4700 6328 Thread Works (No.1 Spinning Mill)

NS46SE 45.02 NS 47169 63366 School

NS46SE 45.03 NS 4654 6350 Canteen

NS46SE 45.04 NS 46675 63159 Dye Works

NS46SE 45.05 NS 46769 63422 Counting House

NS46SE 45.06 NS 46696 63493 Gate; Gatehouse (N Gatehouse and Gates)

NS46SE 45.07 NS 47148 63314 Footbridge (Tannahill's Hole)

NS46SE 45.08 NS 46670 63476 Stable; Storehouse

NS46SE 45.09 NS 46535 63455 Canteen ( West Dining Hall)

NS46SE 45.10 NS 46979 63464 Wood Turning Shop

NS46SE 45.11 NS 46725 63234 Generating Plant (Central Power Station)

NS46SE 45.12 NS 46826 63145 Thread Works; Spinning Mill (No. 3 Spinning Mill)

NS46SE 45.13 NS 46954 63391 Fire Station (Works Fire Station)

NS46SE 45.14 NS 46922 63299 Thread Works (Experimental Mill)

NS46SE 45.15 NS 46868 63367 Joiners Shop

NS46SE 45.16 NS 46975 63371 Gate Lodge (Bridge Lane Gatehouse / 23-29 Bridge Lane)

NS46SE 45.17 NS 46845 63339 Textile Finishing Site (S Side Finishing Mill)

NS46SE 45.18 NS 47103 63278 Thread Works; Spinning Mill (No. 2 Spinning Mill)

NS46SE 45.19 NS 46645 63372 Thread Works (No. 8 Spinning Mill)

NS46SE 45.20 NS 46888 63263 Thread Works (Polishing Department)

NS46SE 45.21 NS 46998 63420 Storehouse (Spool Store)

NS46SE 45.22 NS 46791 63422 Boiler House (Central Boiler House)

(Location cited as NS 467 634). Founded 1826 by James Coats. A very large complex of buildings of various dates.

The oldest block is roughly on an E plan, with magnificent 4-storey and attic, 43-by-44-bay frontages. In the centre of each front is a 3-storey engine house, that in the N front being pedimented, formerly with a bellcote. The end bays (5 in 3 cases, 4 in the other) are extended up by another storey. The other two wings of the E are formed by a beautiful 2-storey and basement, 3-by-5-bay engine house, and by a 4-storey, 13-bay harled building. The complex was built between 1826 and 1858.

Of the other buildings, the most impressive are No. 1 Spinning Mill (1887), a 5-storey, 14-by-33-bay building in French Renaissance style, designed by Woodhouse and Morley of Bradford, and No. 8 Mill, a similar but simpler building, 29 bays long, built 1890. Also of interest are: the W gatehouse, with a large and ornate glazed fanlight and hydrauic gates (1858); a stretch of the Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan canal (the last surviving part), with two semicircular-arched overbridges; and the remarkably ornate half-time school (1887), architects Woodhouse and Morley.

J R Hume 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions