Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bute, Largizean

Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Site Name Bute, Largizean

Classification Standing Stone(S) (Prehistoric)

Canmore ID 40257

Site Number NS05NE 7

NGR NS 08465 55361

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/40257

Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kingarth
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Buteshire

Archaeology Notes

NS05NE 7 08465 55361.

(NS 0846 5536) Standing Stones (NR)

OS 6" map, (1957)

Three large whinstone boulders stand in a line on Largizean farm. About 10ft apart, they measure respectively 5ft 2ins high by 4ft 2ins broad, 5ft 6ins by 3ft 4ins and 7ft 3ins by 4ft 10ins.

J K Hewison 1893.

Three standing stones, 3.5 metres apart, stand on a line running NW-SE. From the NW they measure 1.5m high by 1.3m by 0.8m, 1.7m high by 1m by 1m, and 1.9m high by 1.6m by 1.2m.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (B S) 25 October 1976.

These three standing stones, which are situated in the corner of a cultivated field, 500m NW of Largizean farmsteading, are as described by RCAHMS (Emergency Survey) in 1943 and the Ordnance Survey in 1976. Three standing stones are depicted on the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, sheet CCXV).

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH, JH) 5 May 2009.

Activities

Field Visit (27 May 1943)

This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.

Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 2 December 2014.

Reference (10 July 1972)

Three large whinstone boulders stand in a line on Largizean farm. About 10ft apart, they measure respectively 5ft 2ins high by 4ft 2ins broad, 5ft 6ins by 3ft 4ins and 7ft 3ins by 4ft 10ins.

J K Hewison 1893.

Field Visit (1976)

Three standing stones, 3.5 metres apart, stand on a line running NW-SE. From the NW they measure 1.5m high by 1.3m by 0.8m, 1.7m high by 1m by 1m, and 1.9m high by 1.6m by 1.2m.

Surveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (B S) 25 October 1976.

Reference (1996)

Aerial Photography (6 February 2009)

Field Visit (5 May 2009)

These three standing stones, which are situated in the corner of a cultivated field, 500m NW of Largizean farmsteading, are as described by RCAHMS (Emergency Survey) in 1943 and the Ordnance Survey in 1976. Three standing stones are depicted on the 1st edition of the Ordnance Survey 6-inch map (Buteshire 1869, sheet CCXV).

Visited by RCAHMS (AGCH, JH) 5 May 2009.

Field Visit

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions