Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Bute, Michael's Grave

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Site Name Bute, Michael's Grave

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic)

Canmore ID 39905

Site Number NR97SE 6

NGR NR 99470 70314

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/39905

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish North Bute
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Buteshire

Archaeology Notes

NR97SE 6 99470 70314

(NR 9944 7030) St Michael's Grave (NR)

(Flint and Pottery found AD 1903) (NAT)

OS 6" map, (1924)

Michael's Grave (Henshall 1972; Scott 1969; Bryce 1904) Little remains of this Clyde- type chambered cairn, and its edge is now defined by the limit of ploughing; in 1962 it was 26' across and 3'-5' high against the chamber. The outside of the S side of the chamber is exposed; the chamber itself is full of debris, and due to the slope of the site, silting has covered all but the tops of the two eastmost slabs of the N side. Excavation in 1903 revealed the chamber, oriented along the contour to face ESE. It measured 10'6" by 2'6", divided into two equal compartments by a septal stone. The floor of each compartment was covered by a layer of black earth with charcoal. Items from the chamber, now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS], are an undecorated pottery sherd and a lump of pitchstone (Accession no EO 301). Other sherds, a flint flake, fragments of burnt human bones, a tooth of a pig and ox bones, also found at the same time and place, are now lost.

T H Bryce 1904; J G Scott 1969; A S Henshall 1972.

A chambered cairn as described in the previous information and measuring 13.0m ESE by 4.0m transversely. Lying to the S of the chamber is a probable capstone measuring 2.1m by 1.4m by 0.2m thick. The name St Michael's Grave was confirmed locally.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (B S) 29 October 1976.

This chambered cairn is situated on the leading edge of a S-facing terrace in a field of pasture about 500m S of Kilmichael farmsteading. The cairn has been severely reduced by robbing and ploughing and now measures 10.5m from E to W by 7.2m transversely and no more than 1m in height. The burial chamber, which was shown by excavation to contain two compartments, measures 4.9m from E to W by 0.8m overall and up to 1.3m in height on the S. Its interior is now choked with rubble, and a displaced capping stone, measuring 1.4m by 2m and at least 0.2m in thickness, lies immediately to the S.

Visited by RCAHMS (GFG, PM), 19 May 2009.

Activities

Antiquarian Mapping (1823)

Field Visit (1864)

Excavation (1903)

Reference (1969)

Reference (1972)

Michael's Grave (Henshall 1972; Scott 1969; Bryce 1904) Little remains of this Clyde- type chambered cairn, and its edge is now defined by the limit of ploughing; in 1962 it was 26' across and 3'-5' high against the chamber. The outside of the S side of the chamber is exposed; the chamber itself is full of debris, and due to the slope of the site, silting has covered all but the tops of the two eastmost slabs of the N side. Excavation in 1903 revealed the chamber, oriented along the contour to face ESE. It measured 10'6" by 2'6", divided into two equal compartments by a septal stone. The floor of each compartment was covered by a layer of black earth with charcoal. Items from the chamber, now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland [NMAS], are an undecorated pottery sherd and a lump of pitchstone (Accession no EO 301). Other sherds, a flint flake, fragments of burnt human bones, a tooth of a pig and ox bones, also found at the same time and place, are now lost.

T H Bryce 1904; J G Scott 1969; A S Henshall 1972.

Field Visit (29 October 1976)

A chambered cairn as described in the previous information and measuring 13.0m ESE by 4.0m transversely. Lying to the S of the chamber is a probable capstone measuring 2.1m by 1.4m by 0.2m thick. The name St Michael's Grave was confirmed locally.

Surveyed at 1:10 000.

Visited by OS (B S) 29 October 1976.

Field Visit (9 December 2008)

Field Visit (19 May 2009)

This chambered cairn is situated on the leading edge of a S-facing terrace in a field of pasture about 500m S of Kilmichael farmsteading. The cairn has been severely reduced by robbing and ploughing and now measures 10.5m from E to W by 7.2m transversely and no more than 1m in height. The burial chamber, which was shown by excavation to contain two compartments, measures 4.9m from E to W by 0.8m overall and up to 1.3m in height on the S. Its interior is now choked with rubble, and a displaced capping stone, measuring 1.4m by 2m and at least 0.2m in thickness, lies immediately to the S.

Visited by RCAHMS (GFG, PM) 19 May 2009.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions