Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Our online mapping services, aerial photography and satellite imaging layers are undergoing scheduled maintenance on Sundays in June. Service might be intermittent or unavailable on 6, 20 and 27 June. Thank you for your patience.

 

Witch Hillock

Barrow (Prehistoric)

Site Name Witch Hillock

Classification Barrow (Prehistoric)

Alternative Name(s) Inglismaldie

Canmore ID 36002

Site Number NO66NW 8

NGR NO 6440 6732

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/36002

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Marykirk
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Kincardine And Deeside
  • Former County Kincardineshire

Archaeology Notes

NO66NW 8 6440 6732

(NO 6440 6732) Witch Hillock (NAT)

Tumulus (NR)

OS 1:10,000 map, (1977)

Witch Hillock is an artificial mound: "a remarkable looking object...enclosed with ornamental wire fencing". It was opened about 1856 under the direction of the Earl of Kintore. Mr J Glenny (gardenar, Inglismaldie), who assisted, says that several cists containing bones with "a clay urn containing what appeared to be calcined bones" were found.

Name Book 1863.

Witch Hillock, situated near the edge of a low natural escarpment, is a barrow measuring about 18.0m in diameter and 2.0m high. The mound, showing a largely earthen content, appears in good condition and shows no sign of the 19th century excavation.

About 30m NE are three earthfast boulders, 4.0m apart, forming an arc. They are unusual, being an an area generally devoid of large stones. Their purpose is obscure, but they could be the survivors of a stone circle 7.0 to 8.0m in diameter. (See similar association at 'Three Laws': NO66SE 10.)

Visited by OS (R L) 18 August 1971.

Witch Hillock, a barrow, dimensions as given by the OS field investigator, is situated in a forestry plantation 400m N of Inglismaldie.

(No reference is made to the three earthfast stones noted by the OS.)

RCAHMS 1982.

Activities

Field Visit (30 April 1957)

This site was included within the RCAHMS Marginal Land Survey (1950-1962), an unpublished rescue project. Site descriptions, organised by county, are available to view online - see the searchable PDF in 'Digital Items'. These vary from short notes, to lengthy and full descriptions. Contemporary plane-table surveys and inked drawings, where available, can be viewed online in most cases - see 'Digital Images'. The original typecripts, notebooks and drawings can also be viewed in the RCAHMS search room.

Information from RCAHMS (GFG) 19 July 2013.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions