Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Errol, Old Parish Churches

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church(S) (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Errol, Old Parish Churches

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Church(S) (Period Unassigned)

Canmore ID 30475

Site Number NO22SE 2

NGR NO 2520 2280

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/30475

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Errol
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO22SE 2 2520 2280

(NO 2520 2280) Church (NR) (Site of)

OS 6" map (1959)

For present parish church (at NO 2526 2295), see NO22SE 23.00.

This church was built about 1766, and was in use until 1831, when another church was built on a different site.

New Statistical Account (NSA 1845 J Griegson).

There are no traces of this church. In the graveyard are a number of stone coffins dating from 1639.

Visited by OS (WDJ) 16 June 1964

The parish church of Errol is on record in the early 13th century but the medieval building had been replaced by the 18th century. An engraving of the church erected in the burial-ground in 1765 shows a large arch-pointed and traceried window incorporated in a small annexe or porch on its S side, suggesting the re-use of earlier material. The 18th century church was taken down when a new parish church (NO22SE 23) was built some 120m to the NNE in 1831. In the burial-ground there is a 17th century coped grave-cover, together with a number of 18th century gravestones. The mutilated effigy of a knight (NO22SE 23.01), probably of 15th century date, which was formerly fixed to the wall, is now in Perth Museum.

Visited by RCAHMS (PC, IMS), 21 June 1989.

Activities

Geophysical Survey (3 April 2007 - 11 April 2007)

NO 2520 2280 A resistivity survey of Errol Old Churchyard was carried out from 7–11 July 2007 to try and find any traces of the old, demolished, parish church. There is a large area of high resistivity material at the lower, NE part of the churchyard which might represent spoil of some sort. The church site is on the highest part of the area in a low resistivity zone. While some weak linear features parallel to the probable orientation of the

building can be seen it is not really possible to demonstrate the former extent of the structure.

Archive to be deposited with RCAHMS. Copy of report deposited with Perth and Kinross SMR.

Funder: Perth and Kinross Heritage Trust.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions