Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Haugh Of Drimmie, Suspension Bridge

Suspension Bridge (19th Century)

Site Name Haugh Of Drimmie, Suspension Bridge

Classification Suspension Bridge (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Glenericht House Policies; River Ericht

Canmore ID 29160

Site Number NO15SE 45

NGR NO 17000 50214

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/29160

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Perth And Kinross
  • Parish Blairgowrie
  • Former Region Tayside
  • Former District Perth And Kinross
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NO15SE 45 17000 50214

(Location cited as NO 170 502). Haughs of Drimmie. Double cantilever bridge, probably c. 1830, engineer John Justice, Jnr. A handsome wrought-iron bridge with iron-framed timber deck supported by diagonal rods. Under the deck is a liight inverted bowed truss, built up of circular-section rods.

This bridge is intermediate in form between the Justice bridges at Kirkton of Glenisla, Angus (NO26SW 8) and Crathie, Aberdeenshire (N29SE 8).

J R Hume 1977a.

(Suspension bridge of John Justice type). Built c. 1830. Wrought-iron pylons, iron rod stay chains, deck frame and underbracing, and wooden carriageway. Private road bridge.

J R Hume 1977b.

This bridge carries Glenericht Lodge Drive across the River Ericht to the S of Glenericht House (NO15SE 98). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Blairgowrie and Rattray.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 28 August 2000.

Architecture Notes

NO15SE 45 17000 50214

This site has only been partially upgraded for SCRAN. For further information, please consult the Architecture Catalogues for Perth and Kinross District..

March 1998

NMRS REFERENCE

Architect: John Justice (early 19th century), over River Ericht.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

Activities

Publication Account (1986)

This attractive bridge, which serves Glenericht Lodge, crosses the River Ericht about 4.8km N of Blairgowrie. Built in about 1830, it is one of a small group of wrought-iron framed bridges of suspension type. It was probably designed by John Justice (Junior) of Dundee, and represents a large and modified version of John Justice's footbridge of 1824 at Kirkton of Glenisla, Angus (NO 213603). The Drimmie bridge has a main clear span of 105 ft (32m), the pylon-masts are 3 in (76mm) square and 10ft 3in (3.13m) high above stone abutments, and the wooden deck is 10ft 6in (3.20m) wide overall.

The design is that of a complex 'basket' or multi-stayed suspension type. Each pair of pylons is held in position by three 1 1/2 in-square (38mm) anchor-stays, and suspended from them over the bridge are seven wrought-iron rod-stays with intermediate stabilisers, all secured to the pylons by bolts and bridle-pieces. The pylon-masts themselves have scrolled ironwork at the bases and are inclined outwards towards the heads, where they are joined by curved segmental overthrows. The stretch-wires of the parapet handrails are held independently from straining-posts at the bridge approaches. The frame of the wooden deck comprises a series of transverse ribs, each made up of a cambered upper angle-member and a flat iron tie riveted together at the ends. Together with the eyed ends of the main suspension stays and alternate uprights of the handrails, they are secured by cotters to a continuous flat iron boom 3 in by 7/16in (76mm by 11 mm) in section . A system of under bracing, anchored into the abutments, reinforces the deck frame; it takes the form of a suspended 'cradle' or truss and comprises two 1 1/16 in-diameter (27 mm) suspension rods spaced 3ft 6 in (1.07m) apart and braced by short square-section struts notched into the transverse ribs above.

Information from ‘Monuments of Industry: An Illustrated Historical Record’, (1986).

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions