Country House, Hospital (First World War)
- Council Perth And Kinross
- Parish Blair Atholl
- Former Region Tayside
- Former District Perth And Kinross
- Former County Perthshire
NN86NE 5.00 86577 66186
(NN 8657 6618) Blair Castle: Cumin's Tower (NR)
OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1900)
NN86NE 5.01 NN 86444 66216 Garden and Terrace; Statues
NN86NE 5.02 NN 87027 66343 Walled Garden; Greenhouses; Gate; Statues
NN86NE 5.03 NN 87276 65451 Front Lodge
NN86NE 5.04 NN 87028 66274 Statue of Hercules
NN86NE 5.05 NN 86488 66182 Walled Garden, Sundial
NN86NE 5.06 NN c 865 664 The Obelisk
NN86NE 5.07 NN 86504 66445 Statue of Diana
NN86NE 5.08 NN 86235 67220 Lady Jean's Well
NN86NE 44 NN 869 662 Enclosure (possible)
NN86NE 45 NN 867 657 Ring-ditch (possible)
NN86NE 46 NN 869 657 Ring-ditch (possible)
Blair Castle, the traditional seat of the Dukes of Atholl, is exceedingly large, having grown through numerous phases and extensions and undergone three major reconstructions in style. The last reconstruction copied earlier styles so that it is impossible, without close inspection, to determine where ancient work ceases and modern begins - the more so as the entire building is harled and whitewashed. John Comyn of Badenoch is stated to have begun to build a fortalice at Blair in 1269. Comyn's or Cumming's Tower is still so called, but only the foundations can represent this stronghold.
N Tranter 1962-70.
As described by Tranter. The names Blair Castle and Cumin's Tower verified.
Visited by OS (R D) 15 September 1967.
NN86NE 5.00 86577 66186
Architect: J Macintyre Henry 1903 alterations
Joseph Mitchell 1860 new lodge at West approach
R & R Dickson 1840 designs for new entrance hall and tower
Roger Morris 1742 designs for the top of the broomknowe, coachhouse & stables
Abraham Swan design for bridge, lodges and great stair
Henry & Maclennan 1908 new porch
George Steuart (?) 18thC alterations
John Douglas 1748 designs for additions
James Winter 1743 additions
Alexander Mitchell 1840/1 proposed improvements
Thomas J Mitchell 1847 new lake
David Bryce 1869 additions
Sir Robert Lorimer 1920/1 additions
James C Walker 1885 new bedroom
letter from John Stirling Maxwell
"William Adam never worried about appropriateness. When the Duke of Atholl asked him to design comfortable additions to his rather grim castle at Blair he built two magnificent rooms which would have done credit to any palace in Europe. The dining room with its deeply recessed windows and elaborate plaster work framing large pictures of the waterfalls and rivers in the forests of Atholl is quite a suitable setting for the hospitality of a Highland chieftain. The great drawing room above, on the other hand, with its deep cove, elaborate plaster work and gilding and sunk walls is about as incongruous as any room could possibly be in a Highland castle. The long family wing attached to the castle on the south side has many bedrooms and public rooms every one of which is a perfect example of mid XVIIIth century decoration. The great drawing room, incongruous though it is, used to look very lovely when full of guests at the time of the Atholl Gathering when Bardie's father and mother used to entertain a large party of friends. Such parties would be impossible in these days. I remember the Duchess used to complain that during that week, including family and servants, she had to cater for more than one hundred people staying the house - no easy matter even with larders full of salmon, grouse and venison.
Yours very sincerely,
John Stirling Maxwell."
Dining Room " finest room in Scotland" Lorimer Sir John Stirling Maxwell Fairlie Mss
Draught plan of the fortification intended at the Blair of Atholl. c. 1690 GD 26/9/113
Diary of John Waldie, Hendersyde Park, Kelso GD 1/378/30
May 11th 1826 - May 24th 1827
Desc. p. 75 Unfavourable
gloomy whitewash - old castellated roof off looks like a barrack - capital rooms - rich style of carving and finish - great air of neatness and comfort.
LOR/BLAIR CASTLE/1 Insc: "For His Grace the Duke of Atholl. Proposed alterations and additions"
Survey plan of servants quarters.
Preliminary sketch on tracing. (pencil and crayon)
NMRS PRINT ROOM
Inglis Photograph Collection Acc No 1994/90 exterior
Project (March 2013 - September 2013)
A project to characterise the quantity and quality of the Scottish resource of known surviving remains of the First World War. Carried out in partnership between Historic Scotland and RCAHMS.