Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset


Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Site Name Daviot

Classification Pictish Symbol Stone (Pictish)

Alternative Name(s) Newton Of Mounie; Mounie Castle

Canmore ID 241908

Site Number NJ72NE 11

NGR NJ 7595 2880

Datum OSGB36 - NGR


Ordnance Survey licence number AC0000807262. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2024.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Aberdeenshire
  • Parish Daviot
  • Former Region Grampian
  • Former District Gordon
  • Former County Aberdeenshire

Early Medieval Carved Stones Project

Daviot, Aberdeenshire, Pictish symbol stone

Measurements: H 0.72m, W 0.71m, D 0.20m

Stone type: whinstone

Place of discovery: NJ 7595 2880

Present location: in the grounds of Mounie Castle (NJ 7661 2864).

Evidence for discovery: it was recorded around 1850 beside the road close to Newton of Mounie farm, and was removed in 1866 to Mounie Castle, where Allen saw it in a basement room towards the end of the century.

Present condition: the stone appears to have lost part of its top since Stuart saw it, and it was broken into two when it was moved to Mounie Castle. The carving is worn.


This rounded slab bears four incised symbols on its broad face: a crescent and V-rod above a mirror with a double-ball handle and a crescent, and a single-sided comb beneath the crescent.

Date: seventh century.

References: ECMS pt 3, 161-2; Fraser 2008, no 13.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2017


Field Visit (20 February 1969)

Symbol stone, now at NJ 7665 2862; as described and illustrated.

Visited by OS (RL) 20 February 1969.

Desk Based Assessment (1969)

(NJ 7595 2880) Standing Stone (NR) (Sculptured) (Site of)

OS 6" map, (1959)

A symbol stone a slab of whinstone, cracked across the middle, 2ft 7ins high, 2ft 2ins wide, 8ins thick, incised on one face (Allen and Anderson 1903). It was broken in two on removal to Mounie Castle in 1866 (Ordnance Survey Name Book [ONB] 1867).

J R Allen and J Anderson 1903; Name Book 1867.

Information from OS, c. 1969.

External Reference (1980)

Moved in 1866 to Mounie Castle (see NJ72NE 14.03 NJ 7665 2862), this whinstone slab originally lay opposite the farmhouse of Newton of Mounie. It is now cracked across the middle. It measures 0.78m x 0.66m x 0.02m and is incised with two crescent symbols, the upper one intersected with a V-rod, a mirror and a comb.

Information from R Jones 1980.

Reference (1997)

Class I symbol stone : N.E. face shows a crescent and V-rod above a crescent and a mirror-and comb.

A Mack 1997.


MyCanmore Image Contributions

Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions