Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Bride's Chapel

Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab(S) (Early Medieval)

Site Name St Bride's Chapel

Classification Burial Ground (Period Unassigned), Chapel (Period Unassigned), Cross Slab(S) (Early Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Loch Lubnaig; Stank Chapel

Canmore ID 24018

Site Number NN50NE 3

NGR NN 58508 09818

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/24018

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Callander
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

St Bride’s Chapel 1, Loch Lubnaig, Perthshire, cross-slab fragment

Measurements: H

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NN 5850 0981

Present location: set in a concrete block and built into the north wall of the burial ground, above a modern inscription recording its discovery.

Evidence for discovery: found in 1932 when the foundations of the chapel were uncovered.

Present condition: broken but the carving is clear.

Description

This triangular fragment has one intact edge, which suggests that it came from a relatively small slab. It is incised with a broad shallow groove with the left arm and central area of a cross, of which the left arm has a barred terminal.

Date: sixth to eighth century.

References: Morris 1934.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016.

Archaeology Notes

NN50NE 3 58508 09818

(NN 5851 0981) St Bride's Chapel (NR) (Ruins of)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1901)

The foundations of St Bride's Chapel (MacKinlay 1914) were re-discovered about 1933, and restored under the guidance of the DoE (Morris 1934). Two carved figures of stone (OSA 1793), allegedly representing the saint and her dog, were discovered in the chapel ruins towards the end of the 18th century. The quality of the stone suggests that they were imported into this country.

OSA 1793; J M MacKinlay 1914; D B Morris 1934.

St Bride's Chapel, of which only the footings remain, is oriented NW-SE and measures 10.0m x 6.0m; it is divided into nave and chancel being 3.0m long. The chapel lies within an old, disused burial ground in the N wall of which, towards the NE end, is inserted a cross-incised stone (about 10" square) found nearby in 1932 when the walls of the chapel were restored. In the burial ground are four grave slabs. The earliest appears to be late 18th century.

No information was found regarding the two carved stone figures mentioned in the OSA (1793).

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 16 October 1968.

A much-weathered cross-slab, found during the restoration of the chapel in 1971, is now built into the wall. An 11th -13th century date is suggested for it.

Information contained in letter from R B K Stevenson, NMAS to OS, 2 March 1972.

The chapel is as described by OS. The second cross-slab is in the S wall.

Visited by OS (J P) 18 February 1974.

NN 585 098 The remains of this chapel stand within a disused buriaI-ground. Two early cross-slabs have been built into the walls of the burial-ground.

RCAHMS 1979, visited December 1977

OSA 1793; J M MacKinlay 1914

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions