Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Archaeology Notes

Event ID 676252

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type Archaeology Notes

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/676252

NN50NE 3 58508 09818

(NN 5851 0981) St Bride's Chapel (NR) (Ruins of)

OS 6" map, Perthshire, 2nd ed., (1901)

The foundations of St Bride's Chapel (MacKinlay 1914) were re-discovered about 1933, and restored under the guidance of the DoE (Morris 1934). Two carved figures of stone (OSA 1793), allegedly representing the saint and her dog, were discovered in the chapel ruins towards the end of the 18th century. The quality of the stone suggests that they were imported into this country.

OSA 1793; J M MacKinlay 1914; D B Morris 1934.

St Bride's Chapel, of which only the footings remain, is oriented NW-SE and measures 10.0m x 6.0m; it is divided into nave and chancel being 3.0m long. The chapel lies within an old, disused burial ground in the N wall of which, towards the NE end, is inserted a cross-incised stone (about 10" square) found nearby in 1932 when the walls of the chapel were restored. In the burial ground are four grave slabs. The earliest appears to be late 18th century.

No information was found regarding the two carved stone figures mentioned in the OSA (1793).

Surveyed at 1:2500.

Visited by OS (W D J) 16 October 1968.

A much-weathered cross-slab, found during the restoration of the chapel in 1971, is now built into the wall. An 11th -13th century date is suggested for it.

Information contained in letter from R B K Stevenson, NMAS to OS, 2 March 1972.

The chapel is as described by OS. The second cross-slab is in the S wall.

Visited by OS (J P) 18 February 1974.

NN 585 098 The remains of this chapel stand within a disused buriaI-ground. Two early cross-slabs have been built into the walls of the burial-ground.

RCAHMS 1979, visited December 1977

OSA 1793; J M MacKinlay 1914

People and Organisations

References