Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Description of stone

Event ID 1011769

Category Descriptive Accounts

Type EARLY MEDIEVAL CARVED STONES PROJECT

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1011769

St Bride’s Chapel 1, Loch Lubnaig, Perthshire, cross-slab fragment

Measurements: H

Stone type: sandstone

Place of discovery: NN 5850 0981

Present location: set in a concrete block and built into the north wall of the burial ground, above a modern inscription recording its discovery.

Evidence for discovery: found in 1932 when the foundations of the chapel were uncovered.

Present condition: broken but the carving is clear.

Description

This triangular fragment has one intact edge, which suggests that it came from a relatively small slab. It is incised with a broad shallow groove with the left arm and central area of a cross, of which the left arm has a barred terminal.

Date: sixth to eighth century.

References: Morris 1934.

Compiled by A Ritchie 2016.

People and Organisations

References