Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Nunnery

Nunnery

Site Name Iona, Iona Nunnery

Classification Nunnery

Canmore ID 21621

Site Number NM22SE 14

NGR NM 28487 24095

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/21621

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2016.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilfinichen And Kilvickeon
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Archaeology Notes

NM22SE 14.00 28487 24095.

NM22SE 14.01 2843 2410 Iona Nunnery Sheela-na-gig

For (restored) Iona Abbey or St Mary's Cathedral (NM 2867 2451), see NM22SE 5.

(NM 2843 2410) Nunnery (NR) (In Ruins)

OS 6" map, Argyllshire, 2nd ed., (1900)

The remains of an Augustinian priory founded in 1207 or 1208 and dedicated to St Mary (Skene 1873) or St Oran (Pennant 1934).

In 1574 the prioress and convent disposed of the lands, which suggests that the priory was dissolved about that time.

The remains, substantial and, at least in part, original were repaired in 1923 and the cloister garth planted as a memorial garden. Many early sculptured stones are preserved in the convent.

In the NMAS are four silver spoons and a broken gold fillet found during preservation work in December 1922 at the base of the south respond of the chancel arch. There were indications that they had been deposited, wrapped in linen, in the 13th century.

The priory is sometimes attributed to the Benedictines, but Vatican records describe it as Augustinian.

D E Easson 1957; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; A O Curle 1924; W F Skene 1875; T Pennant 1774; A Ritchie and E Ritchie 1934.

The remains of the priory are as described and planned.

Visited by OS (JP) 8 June 1972.

NM22SE 5 (Abbey); NM 284 240 (Nunnery) Resistivity and geophysical surveys were undertaken at Iona Abbey (see NM22SE 5) and Nunnery by Geophysical Surveys of Bradford for AOC(Scotland)Ltd.

At the Nunnery, a broad, curvilinear magnetic anomaly appears to respect the NE corner of the convent buildings. While this may simply represent an igneous geological feature, it may, alternatively, represent buried road metalling in igneous materials. In the same part of the site, a rectilinear group of features offering high resistance may represent buried wall-butts.

Sponsor: Iona Cathedral Trust Ltd.

J O'Sullivan 1995.

Architecture Notes

Iona, Iona Nunnery.

IG Lindsay Coll, W/114.

Iona, Iona Nunnery.

Ross sketch books MS 28/463/13/7 - unable to locate at time of upgrade 12.4.2000.

Iona, Iona Nunnery.

MISCELLANEOUS:

National Library - Scottish Notes and Queries, Feb 1931 - drawing by Thos. Ross.

Activities

Aerial Photography (2 September 1994)

Aerial Photography (2 June 1997)

Aerial Photography (3 May 2007)

Reference (1957)

The remains of an Augustinian priory founded in 1207 or 1208 and dedicated to St Mary (Skene 1873) or St Oran (Pennant 1934).

In 1574 the prioress and convent disposed of the lands, which suggests that the priory was dissolved about that time.

The remains, substantial and, at least in part, original were repaired in 1923 and the cloister garth planted as a memorial garden. Many early sculptured stones are preserved in the convent.

In the NMAS are four silver spoons and a broken gold fillet found during preservation work in December 1922 at the base of the south respond of the chancel arch. There were indications that they had been deposited, wrapped in linen, in the 13th century.

The priory is sometimes attributed to the Benedictines, but Vatican records describe it as Augustinian.

D E Easson 1957; D MacGibbon and T Ross 1896-7; A O Curle 1924; W F Skene 1875; T Pennant 1774; A Ritchie and E Ritchie 1934.

Field Visit (8 June 1972)

The remains of the priory are as described and planned.

Visited by OS (JP) 8 June 1972.

Geophysical Survey (1995)

NM22SE 5 (Abbey); NM 284 240 (Nunnery) Resistivity and geophysical surveys were undertaken at Iona Abbey (see NM22SE 5) and Nunnery by Geophysical Surveys of Bradford for AOC(Scotland)Ltd.

At the Nunnery, a broad, curvilinear magnetic anomaly appears to respect the NE corner of the convent buildings. While this may simply represent an igneous geological feature, it may, alternatively, represent buried road metalling in igneous materials. In the same part of the site, a rectilinear group of features offering high resistance may represent buried wall-butts.

Sponsor: Iona Cathedral Trust Ltd.

J O'Sullivan 1995.

External Reference (February 1931)

National Library - Scottish Notes and Queries, Feb 1931 - drawing by Thos. Ross.

Field Visit (10 March 1939)

Photographic Survey (1973)

Aerial Photography (1978)

Measured Survey (November 1917)

Field Visit (1980)

8m W of the midden B (NL58SE 6) are 2 small cairns, the larger c. 3.5m across and 'horse-shoe' shaped in plan, and 0.6m high. The other lies 4m to the SW and is c. 2.5m across. Both cairns appear to be stratigraphically earlier than the midden. In the E edge of the larger cairn a rim of Iron Age type pottery was found in 1971.

C B Buxton 1981.

Measured Survey (1970 - 1971)

Measured Survey (1874 - 1877)

Field Visit (April 1996 - May 1996)

The remains of an Augustinian priory founded in 1207 or 1208 and dedicated to St Mary (Skene 1873) or St Oran (Pennant 1774).

In 1574 the prioress and convent disposed of the lands, which suggests that the priory was dissolved about this time.

A variety of early and later medieval sculptured stones are now stored in St Ronan's Church - part of the Nunnery.

Excavation within the church in advance of restoration revealed potentially early Christian inhumations cut into the raised beach.

Monitoring the laying of a new BT cable in 1996 around the Nunnery revealed structural evidence as well as midden material.

(ION96 086)

Information from NTS (SCS) January 2016

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions