Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Iona, Iona Nunnery. Detail of carved corbel on South wall of nave picturing an angel bearing a scroll.

SC 366541

Description Iona, Iona Nunnery. Detail of carved corbel on South wall of nave picturing an angel bearing a scroll.

Catalogue Number SC 366541

Category On-line Digital Images

Copy of AG 5132

Scope and Content Church of Iona Nunnery, Argyll and Bute The remains of this Augustinian nunnery stand on sheltered ground about 400 m south-west of the Abbey. They comprise the nunnery church and portions of the associated conventual buildings standing on the south side. The remains date from the 13th century. During the 15th century, a wooden gallery was built at the west end of the nave. This was supported along the south wall by six corbels, carved in low relief. The corbel third from the west has an angel bearing a scroll. The church dates from the early 13th century and comprises a nave with a chancel, and with an aisle running along the north side. Abandoned in the 16th century, the ruins were consolidated in 1874 and the church partially restored in 1923. Source: RCAHMS contribution to SCRAN.

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/collection/366541

File Format (TIF) Tagged Image File Format bitmap

People and Organisations

Events

Attribution & Licence Summary

Attribution: © RCAHMS

You may: copy, display, store and make derivative works [eg documents] solely for licensed personal use at home or solely for licensed educational institution use by staff and students on a secure intranet.

Under these conditions: Display Attribution, No Commercial Use or Sale, No Public Distribution [eg by hand, email, web]

Full Terms & Conditions and Licence details

MyCanmore Text Contributions