Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Clyde Iron Works

Iron Works (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glasgow, Clyde Iron Works

Classification Iron Works (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Carmyle Brickworks; Clyde Ironworks

Canmore ID 162565

Site Number NS66SW 259

NGR NS 63785 62151

NGR Description Centred NS 63785 62151

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/162565

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Old Monkland (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Archaeology Notes

NS66SW 259 centred 63785 62151

See also NS66SW 14.

For adjacent railway viaduct, see NS66SW 609.

For pipe bridge (adjacent to W), see NS66SW 968.

(Location cited as NS 638 622). Clyde Iron Works, founded 1786. The present plant dates basically from the late 1930's, No. 1 furnace being completed in 1939 and No. 2 in 1940. The first battery of coke ovens was finished in 1939. No. 3 furnace followed in 1948, and the second battery of coke ovens was added in 1952.

J R Hume 1976.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions