Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glasgow, Church Street, Western Infirmary, General & Elder Memorial Chapel

Hospital (Period Unassigned), Mortuary (19th Century)-(20th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Site Name Glasgow, Church Street, Western Infirmary, General & Elder Memorial Chapel

Classification Hospital (Period Unassigned), Mortuary (19th Century)-(20th Century), War Memorial(S) (20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) War Memorials

Canmore ID 162147

Site Number NS56NE 1768

NGR NS 56401 66657

NGR Description Centred NS 56401 66657

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/162147

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Glasgow, City Of
  • Parish Govan (City Of Glasgow)
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District City Of Glasgow
  • Former County Lanarkshire

Architecture Notes

NS56NE 1768 56450 66655

NS56NE 1462 56386 66620 Tennent Memorial Block

NS56NE 4844 56888 66696 Outpatients and Dispensary

NS56NE 4845 56393 66730 Pathological Block

NMRS REFERENCE:

Glasgow, Dumbarton Road, Western Infirmary, Accident and Emergency Dept.

Architect: Keppie Henderson and Partners, 1965-1974.

Glasgow, Church Road, Western Infirmary.

Architect:

John Burnet, 1871 (older portion)

Sir John James Burnet (additions and alterations)

1894-1923 (additions and extensions)

1894-1914 (Pathologiacal Institute)

1902-1905 (Dispensary)

1909-1912 (New South-West Wing)

1910-1914 (New Clinical Laboratory)

1911-1912 (New Dietitic Kitchen)

1913-1914 (Laundry Extension)

1913-1916 (New Admission Block)

1920-1921 (Massage Building)

1922-1923 (New Chapel)

(Nurse's Lecture Theatre)

(Nurse's Home Extension)

Keppie Henderson and Partners, 1965-1974 Accident and Emergency Department, Dumbarton Road.

Plans:

'The Builder', May 19th, 1894 - print plans.

'The Builder', July 9th, 1898

Activities

Project (February 2014 - July 2014)

A data upgrade project to record war memorials.

Standing Building Recording (1 November 2017 - 3 November 2017)

NS 564 666 As part of a wider redevelopment scheme at the former Western Infirmary a detailed measured survey was made, 1–3 November 2017, of a linking corridor between the Elder Memorial Chapel and the former Western Infirmary, which is scheduled for demolition. The work aimed to provide survey drawings which would facilitate the rebuilding of

the corridor at a later date. The survey produced a series of internal and external elevation drawings to which numbers were added identifying each element of the structure.

Archive: NRHE (intended)

Funder: Graham Construction

Jenni Morrison – Addyman Archaeology

(Source: DES, Volume 18)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions