Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Leith, Quayside Street, Quayside Mills

Grain Mill (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Edinburgh, Leith, Quayside Street, Quayside Mills

Classification Grain Mill (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Junction Grain Mill; Mcgregor And Co Ltd; St Ninian's Church And Manse

Canmore ID 156864

Site Number NT27NE 752

NGR NT 26822 76475

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/156864

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27NE 752 26822 76475

Quayside Mills [NAT]

OS (GIS) MasterMap, July 2010.

See also:

NT27NE 82 NT 26754 76497 North Leith Burial Ground

NT27NE 829 NT 26837 76478 St Ninian's Church and Manse (incorporated into McGregor and Co Quayside Mills)

Quayside Mills incorporate parts of the old St. Ninian's or North Leith Church and Manse. The 4 storey block at the East end of the complex is the heavily reconstructed church.

Edinburgh, Quayside Street, St. Ninian's Church and manse.

National Library.

Builder's Journal, August 23rd 1899.

'Water Colour sketches, Series of, By Thomas Brown, Advocate'

Vol II No 40.

Ref Adv 34.8.1-3.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

(Location cited as NT 268 765). Quayside Mills, Quayside Street, 18th century and later. An interesting group of brick and rubble buildings, the oldest of which are four-storey and attic rubble blocks, one with a tower having a wooden top of a traditional Scottish design. The brick buildings consist of a 3-storey and attic, 6-bay mill block, and a 5-storey and attic, 6-bay store. The circular-section brick chimney is now demolished.

J R Hume 1976.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (17 May 2002)

On the arch over the pend is a scrolled keystone carved with a grotesque head. Above a first floor window is a lintel carved with the above inscription.

The tenement building dates from the early 18th centurey; the lintel may have been taken from the entrance to the neighbouring St Ninian's Church.

Inspected By : I.C. Grant

Inscriptions : BLESSED AR THEY YAT HEIR YE VORD OF GOD AND KEIP IT / LVK XI 1600

Design period : early 18th century (building)

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0988)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions