Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Poltalloch House, North Lodge

Gateway (Period Unassigned), Lodge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Poltalloch House, North Lodge

Classification Gateway (Period Unassigned), Lodge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Poltalloch Estate, North Lodge And Gate-way

Canmore ID 156762

Site Number NR89NW 81.02

NGR NR 82360 97595

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/156762

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Argyll And Bute
  • Parish Kilmartin
  • Former Region Strathclyde
  • Former District Argyll And Bute
  • Former County Argyll

Activities

Photographic Survey (1962)

Photographic survey of buildings on Poltalloch Estate, Argyll, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1962.

Field Visit (October 1981)

The roofless shell of this large Jacobean-style mansion stands in extensive policies 2.3km NE of Duntrune Castle (No. 128), which it replaced as the seat of the Malcolm family of Poltalloch. It occupies a natural terrace bounded to the N and W by a wooded ridge, but enjoying a wide prospect over parkland to Sand E. The house was built for Neill Malcolm between 1849 and 1853 to designs produced in the London office of William Burn, who himself staked out the proposed outline of the building in 1845 (en.1). This original plan was modified in extended discussions with the client, so that working-drawings were produced only in 1849. Advice on the setting of the house was given by the landscape-architect W A Nesfield, who designed the surrounding terrace-walls and parterre (en.2*). The house, formerly known as Callton Mor, was dismantled in 1957.

RCAHMS 1992, visited October 1981

[for a full architectural description see RCAHMS 1992 No. 177]

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions