Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Field Visit

Date October 1981

Event ID 1083017

Category Recording

Type Field Visit

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/event/1083017

The roofless shell of this large Jacobean-style mansion stands in extensive policies 2.3km NE of Duntrune Castle (No. 128), which it replaced as the seat of the Malcolm family of Poltalloch. It occupies a natural terrace bounded to the N and W by a wooded ridge, but enjoying a wide prospect over parkland to Sand E. The house was built for Neill Malcolm between 1849 and 1853 to designs produced in the London office of William Burn, who himself staked out the proposed outline of the building in 1845 (en.1). This original plan was modified in extended discussions with the client, so that working-drawings were produced only in 1849. Advice on the setting of the house was given by the landscape-architect W A Nesfield, who designed the surrounding terrace-walls and parterre (en.2*). The house, formerly known as Callton Mor, was dismantled in 1957.

RCAHMS 1992, visited October 1981

[for a full architectural description see RCAHMS 1992 No. 177]

People and Organisations

References