Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Glenlochar Bridge

Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Glenlochar Bridge

Classification Road Bridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) River Dee; Water Of Ken; Culvennan

Canmore ID 151731

Site Number NX76SW 41

NGR NX 73206 64512

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/151731

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Dumfries And Galloway
  • Parish Balmaghie
  • Former Region Dumfries And Galloway
  • Former District Stewartry
  • Former County Kirkcudbrightshire

Archaeology Notes

NX76SW 41 73206 64512

Glenlochar Bridge [NAT]

OS 1:10,000 map, 1982.

For barrage to the N (at NX 7322 6460), see NX76SW 40.

(Location cited as NX 732 645). Glenlochar Bridge: a very similar bridge [to Ken Bridge, NX67NW 7] over the River Dee; dates from the raly 19th century.

I Donnachie 1971.

(Location cited as NX 733 645). Glenlochar Bridge, early 19th century. A 6-span bridge with segmental arches and circular flood-relief holes through the spandrels.

J R Hume 1976.

Glenlochar Bridge, c. 1790. Five-arched granite and rubble, spanning the River Ken.

J R Hume 2000.

This bridge carries the B795 public road across the River Dee to the S of Glanlochar Barrage (NX76SW 40). The river here forms the boundary between the parishes of Balmaghie (to the W) and Crossmichael (to the E).

The location assigned to this record defines the midpoint of the structure. The available map evidence indicates that it exists from NX c. 73154 64503 to NX c. 73250 64517.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 16 March 2006.

Activities

Publication Account (2007)

This substantial bridge carries the B795 Laurieston road over the Dee north-west of Castle Douglas. It was built

from 1797–99 and has six masonry arches each of 3912 ft span, and a width between parapets of 1712 ft. The

masonry is grey granite with dressed arch stones and random rubble parapets with dressed copes. The cutwaters are rounded with buttresses above which are blind circular medallions in the spandrels. The bridge

was built by Samuel McKean and John McCraken was consulted.

R Paxton and J Shipway 2007

Reproduced from 'Civil Engineering heritage: Scotland - Lowlands and Borders' with kind permission from Thomas Telford Publishers.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions