Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

In recognition of the essential restrictions and measures imposed by the Scottish and UK Governments, we have closed all sites, depots and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, with immediate effect. Read our latest statement on Coronavirus (COVID-19).

Nairn, General

Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Nairn, General

Classification Burgh (Medieval), Town (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Invernairn

Canmore ID 15128

Site Number NH85NE 40

NGR NH 8800 5600

NGR Description Centred on NH 8800 5600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/15128

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Nairn
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Nairn
  • Former County Nairn

Archaeology Notes

NH85NE 40 8800 5600 (Centred)

This burgh, which was probably founded late in the 12th century, is first referred to as 'Invernairn' in the reign of Alexander II (1214-49).

G S Pryde 1965; RCAHMS 1978.

A royal burgh at the mouth of the River Nairn, founded, together with a long-vanished castle (NH85NE 20) by William the Lion, c. 1200.

J Gifford 1992.

Architecture Notes

REFERENCE

(for NAIRN COUNTY COUNCIL, LOCH DHU SITE

Dick Peddie & McKay, Edinburgh - plans

Drains - Dick Peddie, McKay & Jamieson - 1945

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions