Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

All our staffed properties, sites and offices, including the HES Archives and Library, are currently closed, but we’re working on plans to gradually reopen. In the meantime, you can access our services online. Find out more.

Old Petty

Motte (Medieval), Natural Feature (Period Unknown)

Site Name Old Petty

Classification Motte (Medieval), Natural Feature (Period Unknown)

Alternative Name(s) Glebe Cottage, Motte; Petty Motte

Canmore ID 14218

Site Number NH74NW 3

NGR NH 7383 4987

NGR Description NH 7383 4987 and 7363 4977

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/14218

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Petty
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH74NW 3 7383 4987 and 7363 4977

(NH 7383 4987) Tumulus (NR),

(NH 7363 4977) Tumulus (NR)

OS 6" map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1907)

There are two mounds to the W of Petty Church [St Columba's Church: NH74NW 55], 150' in circumference at the base, 120' at the top and 42' high. In 1875, while a man was ploughing, his horse fell into an underground structure "at the very base" of one of them.

G Anderson 1831; Jolly 1885; ISSFC 1885.

At NH 7383 4987 is a motte scarped from a natural sand-hill. It measures c. 45.0m overall by c. 5.5m high and has a level oval top measuring about 20.0m NE-SW by 16.0m.

Revised at 1/2500 (OS [ECG] 26 April 1962).

The mound, at NH 7363 4977, is a natural sand-hill of similar proportions. The N and E sides appear to have been steepened, but this is probably the result of quarrying sand which has mutilated the surrounding area.

No evidence is to be seen of the underground structure mentioned by Anderson and Jolly.

Visited by OS (ISS) 30 March 1973.

Air photographs, taken by Jill Harden in 1989, are in Inverness Museum (8905.02-04 INVMG).

Information from J Harden, 1989.

Scheduled as 'Glebe Cottage, motte 30m NNE of... a motte of medieval date, visible as a grass-covered mound. It lies 1km from the S shore of the Moray Firth, within a private garden and between a vehicle track and [a] burial ground.'

Information from Historic Scotland, scheduling document dated 19 July 2011.

Activities

Field Visit (19 September 1943)

This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.

Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 12 November 2014.

Typescript, v1, 75-76

Manuscript MS 36, 165-167

Notebook MS 124/3

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions