Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Invergordon Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Invergordon Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Inverbreakie Castle

Canmore ID 13621

Site Number NH66NE 16

NGR NH 6984 6965

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/13621

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2021.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Rosskeen
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Ross And Cromarty
  • Former County Ross And Cromarty

Archaeology Notes

NH66NE 16 c. 6984 6965

(NH 6984 6965) Invergordon Castle (NAT)

OS 6" map, Ross and Cromarty, 1st ed., (1872).

ARCHITECT: Alexander Ross c1873.

(Undated) information in NMRS.

The original name of Invergordon Castle was 'Inverbreakie Castle', which is mentioned in the 13th century. The change of name took place on the acquisition of the estate by Sir Wm Gordon at the beginning of the 18th century.

The old castle was destroyed by fire and was replaced by a modern mansion in 1872, which was demolished in 1928.

Anon 1936; Anon 1957.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions