Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Deanston, Deanston Mills, Spinning Mill

Distillery (Period Unassigned), Spinning Mill (18th Century), Still House (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Deanston, Deanston Mills, Spinning Mill

Classification Distillery (Period Unassigned), Spinning Mill (18th Century), Still House (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Deanston Distillery; Still House

Canmore ID 128863

Site Number NN70SW 43.02

NGR NN 71558 01600

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/128863

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Kilmadock
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Activities

Publication Account (19 February 2018)

Deanston cotton mill was establishd in 1785, the year that Richard Arkwright's patents were quashed (Richard Arkwirght's water frame could now become part of continuous preparation machinery). Modenisation in 1947 destroyed the 18th century mill range. The surviving spinning mill, weaving shed, wheel house and weir of c.1826 are of great interest as a late phase of water-powered mill construction. Workers housing still survives in a relatively unchanged state.

JR Hume (1977)

Change Of Use (February 2018)

Deanston Cotton Mill was converted into a distillery in 1966. The distillery actively uses its industrial heritage and archives as part of its branding.

Information from Survey and Recording Section (Architecture and Industry), Heritage Directorate, HES, 19 February 2018.

Desk Based Assessment (19 February 2018)

Deanston Mills

Timeline

1785: Archibald and John Buchanan founded Adelphi Cotton works

1792 – Buchanan and Co warehouse cotton water twist/common weft/cording /mule twist

1793 - bankruptcy and passed to Benjamin Flounders (until c.1804)

1806 – Deanston bought by James Findlay and Co.

1807 – 17 year old nephew of Archibald Buchanan, James Smith, becomes manager

1822 – agreed that water drawn fro further up the River Teith

1825 – foundation stone for new dam laid

1830 – 2 wheels begin work

1832 – third wheel installed

1833 – fourth wheel installed

March 1834 first arch of loom shed begun – by October 50% complete

May 1834 – first self-acting mule completed

1851 – 796 persons in Deanston

1852 street lighting and lighting in Deanston homes

1852 1,535,412 lbs cotton used (£33,000)

Early 1860s mill idle for a time

1871 – 529 workers

1900 mostly towelling and cotton sheeting

1930-40 – cotton bedding

1940s – cotton and spun rayon goods

1945 – foundation stone laid

Asbestos weaving carried out

Closed 1965

Distillery went into production 17th October 1966 James Finlay and Co and Brodie Hepburn Ltd

Information from Survey and Recording Section (Architecture and Industry, MMD)), Heritage Directorate, HES, 19 February 2018

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions