Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Abbs, Harbour

Harbour (19th Century)

Site Name St Abbs, Harbour

Classification Harbour (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) St Abbs Harbour

Canmore ID 128379

Site Number NT96NW 54

NGR NT 92042 67325

NGR Description Centred NT 92042 67325

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/128379

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Coldingham
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT96NW 54.00 centred 92042 67325

NT96NW 54.01 NT 92053 67317 Lifeboat Station

NT96NW 54.02 NT 91961 67292 Gear Stores

Not to be confused with Pettico Wick Harbour ('St Abbs Fishery') at NT 9080 6907, for which see NT96NW 47.

For Fish House at NT 92021 67266, see NT96NW 195.

(Location cited as NT 920 673). St Abbs, Berwickshire. No harbour existed in Coldingham parish in 1794 (Stat. Acct), but work was put in hand in 1831 to provide a refuge for fishing-boats, and a developed version of this still stands inside the much larger later works. As now improved and expanded, this original harbour comprises a squarish box, extending only to about a quarter of an acre [0.101ha], inserted in an natural pocket among the littoral rocks, which have been quarried away as necessary or made to serve as foundations. The SW side is formed of a shore-based wharf, partly built and partly rock-cut, the NW side by a pier, originally a breakwater only, and the SE and NE sides by another, which returns at right angles at the E corner. The entrance, 20ft [6.1m] wide, which has chases for booms and is partly rock-cut, is at the N corner, and beyond this a narrow extension of the NE pier runs on for a further 75ft [22.9m]. This is an addition to the work of 1831. The face of the wharf on the SW may be later than the rest as it is of different build.

The main interest of the place lies in the date that it provides for the character of masonry employed. The piers are of large, well-dressed, scabbled blocks, set dry and accurately coursed. These vary somewhat in thickness from place to place, and on the seaward faces are in general deeply rusticated. These faces show considerable batter.

A Graham 1971.

(Location cited as NT 920 673). St Abbs harbour, built 1833 and subsequently enlarged. A harbour of enclosure with an L-plan pier and a straight pier enclosing a roughly rectangular basin. An inner basin is formed by two straight piers. Ancillary features include two net-boiling tubs.

J R Hume 1976.

Activities

Photographic Survey (September 1961)

Survey of St Abbs harbour and lighthouse, Berwickshire, by the Scottish National Buildings Record in 1961.

Sbc Note (15 April 2016)

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions