Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Edinburgh, Teviot Place, University Of Edinburgh, Medical School, New Building

Faculty Building (19th Century), University (19th Century)

Site Name Edinburgh, Teviot Place, University Of Edinburgh, Medical School, New Building

Classification Faculty Building (19th Century), University (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) George Square; Middle Meadow Walk; Teviot Row; Edinburgh University

Canmore ID 123805

Site Number NT27SE 1958

NGR NT 25748 73060

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/123805

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Edinburgh, City Of
  • Parish Edinburgh (Edinburgh, City Of)
  • Former Region Lothian
  • Former District City Of Edinburgh
  • Former County Midlothian

Architecture Notes

NT27SE 1958 25748 73060

ARCHITECT: Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, 1878-1888.

Activities

Project (1997)

The Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (http://www.pmsa.org.uk/) set up a National Recording Project in 1997 with the aim of making a survey of public monuments and sculpture in Britain ranging from medieval monuments to the most contemporary works. Information from the Edinburgh project was added to the RCAHMS database in October 2010 and again in 2012.

The PMSA (Public Monuments and Sculpture Association) Edinburgh Sculpture Project has been supported by Eastern Photocolour, Edinburgh College of Art, the Edinburgh World Heritage Trust, Historic Scotland, the Hope Scott Trust, The Old Edinburgh Club, the Pilgrim Trust, the RCAHMS, and the Scottish Archive Network.

Field Visit (23 July 1999)

Monument to Archbishop Tait.

The monument consists of a colossal bust placed in an architectural frame set into the eastern façade of the Medical School. The framework includes a pedestal about five feet high, divided into three compartments. In the central one is the inscription. On the pedestal are two grey granite columns which support an entablature with sculptured panels in the frieze. The central panel contains a mitre, crosier and pastoral staff; the side panels contain the monogram IHS and the crest and motto of Tait's family. The entablature is surmounted by a pediment, in which is a bronze panel showing two cherubs supporting an Italian shield bearing the arms of the See of Canterbury impaled with those of the Tait family.

The monument was funded by public subscription, and was designed by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. The bust is by Mario Raggi, cast by the founders Young & Co. of the Eccleston Works in Pimlico. The ceremony of handing the monument over to the University of Edinburgh took place on 27 February 1885.

The site was chosen because it is where the house stood in which Archbishop Tait was born.

Archibald Campbell Tait, Archbishop of Canterbury

Inscriptions : In panel beneath bust and niche (incised gilded letters):

TO COMMEMORATE / IN HIS NATIVE COUNTRY / THE PIETY THE VIRTUES AND THE WISDOM / OF / ARCHIBALD CAMPBELL TAIT / ARCHBISHOP OF CANTERBURY / 1868 - 1882 / FRIENDS AND ADMIRERS IN SCOTLAND / HAVE ERECTED THIS MONUMENT / ON THE SITE OF THE HOUSE / IN WHICH HE WAS BORN

On scroll of coat of arms (raised letters): PRO REGE ET PATRIA

Signatures : On metal pedestal of bust at right hand side: M.RAGGI Sc. / LONDON 1884

Design period : 1884-1885

Year of unveiling : 1885

Unveiling details : 27 February 1885

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0002)

Field Visit (30 July 1999)

Carved panel on first floor frieze between roundels, comprising a central cup (?) with a crowned head in profile, flanked by ears of corn with a roaring lion either side, and acanthus scrolls to left and right (left one unfinished).

(Back of profile head possibly unfinished).

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1876 - 1886

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0018)

Field Visit (23 July 1999)

Sreet light on pillar with three entwined dolphins around base, nose downwards towards points of triangular base. Acanthus decoration midway up pillar and three circular surrounds at top. Large metal and glass lantern.

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0019)

Field Visit (23 July 1999)

Coat of Arms as keystone above door: a thistle above a saltire above a castle within a mandorla.

(The door arch is decorated with carved dragons, birds and plants. Cherubs with scrolls are in the spandrels).

Inscriptions : None

Signatures : None

Design period : 1876 - 1886

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0158)

Field Visit (23 July 1999)

Plain plaque containing a low relief portrait bust of James Lind and inscription.

Inscriptions : On plaque (raised letters): "THE PROVINCE HAS BEEN MINE TO DELIVER PRECEPTS; / THE POWER IS IN OTHERS TO EXECUTE." / 1716 [portrait] 1794 / JAMES LIND / M.D. (EDIN) R.C.P.E. F.R.S.E. / "THE HIPPOCRATES OF NAVAL MEDICINE" / AUTHOR OF: / A TREATISE OF THE SCURVY / AN ESSAY ON PRESERVING THE / HEALTH OF SEAMEN / AN ESSAY ON DISEASES INCIDENTAL / TO EUROPEANS IN HOT CLIMATES / THESE WORKS LED TO THE CONQUEST / OF SCURVY, THE DEVELOPMENT OF / MODERN NAVAL HYGIENE AND THE / GROWTH OF TROPICAL MEDICINE / THIS PLAQUE IS PRESENTED IN HONOUR OF / THE FIRST EXPERIMENTAL NUTRITIONIST. / A GREAT PHYSICIAN AND SCIENTIST / BY / THE SUNKIST GROWERS OF CITRUS FRUIT / IN CALIFORNIA AND ARIZONA / 22ND MAY, 1953

Signatures : None

Year of unveiling : 1953

Unveiling details : 22 May 1953

Information from Public Monuments and Sculpture Association (PMSA Work Ref : EDIN0159)

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions