Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Westfield, Avon Viaduct

Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Site Name Westfield, Avon Viaduct

Classification Railway Viaduct (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) River Avon; Avonbridge Viaduct; Westfield Viaduct

Canmore ID 123079

Site Number NS97SW 34

NGR NS 93373 72666

NGR Description NS 9334 7268 to NS 9348 7255

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/123079

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Falkirk
  • Parish Muiravonside
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Falkirk
  • Former County Stirlingshire

Recording Your Heritage Online

Westfield Viaduct, c.1850

Its 12 wide, segmental arches with two narrower arches at each end bring drama to this forgotten corner of West Lothian.

Taken from "West Lothian: An Illustrated Architectural Guide", by Stuart Eydmann, Richard Jaques and Charles McKean, 2008. Published by the Rutland Press http://www.rias.org.uk

Archaeology Notes

NS77SW 34 93350 72686 (NS 9334 7268 to NS 9348 7255)

Avon Viaduct: The first stone of this structure was laid on the 11th August 1854 and it is composed of 16 arches, 12 large ones of about 47ft span and two small ones at each end. It is about 660ft long and 60ft to the top of the arch from the bed of the Avon Water, which now runs through a wide but not very deep glen at this place. It is the property of the Monklands Railway Co., and was erected for their single line of railway (Blackston to Boghead Branch).

Name Book (Linlithgowshire), 1856

(Location cited as NS 934 727). Viaduct, Westfield, built c. 1850 for the Monkland Rly. A 16-span masonry viaduct with 12 main spans and a pair of smaller approach spans at each end, all semicircular. The main spans are strengthened with old rails. Now disused.

J R Hume 1976.

This viaduct formerly carried the Glasgow-Bathgate-Edinburgh line of the (former) North British Rly. over the valley of the River Avon, which here forms the boundary between the parishes of Muiravonside (Stirlingshire) and Torphichen (West Lothian).

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 20 November 1997.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions