Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Corrimony

Chambered Cairn (Neolithic), Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Site Name Corrimony

Classification Chambered Cairn (Neolithic), Stone Circle (Neolithic) - (Bronze Age)

Canmore ID 12256

Site Number NH33SE 6

NGR NH 3830 3030

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/12256

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2022.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Urquhart And Glenmoriston
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Inverness
  • Former County Inverness-shire

Archaeology Notes

NH33SE 6 3830 3030.

(NH 3830 3030) Stone Circle {NR}

OS 6"map, Inverness-shire, 2nd ed., (1904)

This Clava-type passage grave was excavated by Professor Piggot, during the summer of 1952. His excavation has now been filled in.

Before excavation the cairn measured about 60' in diameter, and 8' in height, and was composed, for the most part, of water-worn stones. A large, flat, cup-marked stone, now thought to have been the cap-stone of the chamber lay on top.

Excavation revealed traces of a crouched inhumation burial beneath the flagged floor of the chamber. There were no grave-goods.

Of the 11 stones forming the outer ring round the cairn 4 are modern additions and 2 have been reset in recent times. The stones range from 5' - 9' in height. An area of cobbling, apparently an original feature, was revealed between two of the stones on the NW. One of the stones on the NW is said to bear cup-marks on its outer-facing side, but these are now unconvincing.

The only artifact found during excavation, was a bone pin, calcined and eroded, which is now in the National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS, EO 956).

S Piggott 1956; A S Henshall 1963

A stone on the NW side of the outer circle has cup marks on the outer face. Another stone, which lay on the W side of the cairn until 1830, and is now on the top, also has cup marks.

A Mitchell 1875

This cairn, surrounded by a fence, is maintained by the MOW. It is as described above.

Resurveyed at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (N K B) 4 December 1964

Activities

Field Visit (15 September 1943)

This site was recorded as part of the RCAHMS Emergency Survey, undertaken by Angus Graham and Vere Gordon Childe during World War 2. The project archive has been catalogued during 2013-2014 and the material, which includes notebooks, manuscripts, typescripts, plans and photographs, is now available online.

Information from RCAHMS (GF Geddes) 12 November 2014.

Publication Account (1995)

This cairn is a well-preserved passage grave of Clava type. As usual, the cairn is retained by a ring of large boulders. A long passage leads through the cairn material into the small central chamber, and part of this passage is still roofed with the original stone slabs, whereas at Clava these are missing. The passage is only about one metre hi gh, and so can only be entered crouched or crawling. The walls of the chamber have a basal ring of boulders, above which is drystone walling that oversails in its higher courses but is now open in the centre. The roof was originally corbelled inwards until the rop could be closed with one large slab, and then covered with the stones of the cairn. The massive cup-marked slab now lying on top of the cairn was probably the capstone. The passage and chamber had a cobbled floor. In the 19th century the chamber had been dug out down to this floor and refilled. New excavations in 1953 discovered the stain of a single crouched body buried below the cobbled floor.

A ring of eleven standing stones surrounds the cairn, and though there seems to be space for a twelfth it may never have been erected. The four circle stones closest to the passage entrance have been re-erected at some time, and the two west of the entrance are not original, but made out of two lintels from the passage roof.

Information from ‘Exploring Scotland’s Heritage: The Highlands’, (1995).

Note

Date fieldwork started: 04/08/2020

Compiled by: NOSAS

Location notes: The panel lies on top of the Corrimony, a Clava type cairn. The cairn is a 'Property in Care' and monitored by Historic Environment Scotland and regularly visited by the public. The cairn is situated immediately to the NNW of the minor road to Corrimony, on the flat ground about 220m S of the River Enrick. The cairn and associated standing stones are enclosed by a metal fence and approached across a footbridge over the ditch between the road and cairn. Another cupmarked stone, Corrimony 2, is on one of the standing stones to the N of the cairn.

Panel notes: The panel is a roughly triangular gneiss slab 2.40 x 1.30m and 0.40m thick. It now lies on top of the cairn stones on the E side of the cairn. It is thought to be the capstone of the cairn and was removed about 1830 when the cairn was first excavated. It may have been placed in its present position on the top of the cairn stones during later excavations and some rebuilding of the cairn. The slab has many cupmarks, with approximate 72 cups, 1 dumbbell and 1 set of 3 cups joined with grooves. The stone has a number of fissures across the top but generally has a smooth surface.

Note

Date fieldwork started: 04/08/2020

Compiled by: NOSAS

Location notes: This is a standing stone located to the NNW of the Corrimony, a Clava type cairn. The cairn is a 'Property in Care' and monitored by Historic Environment Scotland and regularly visited by the public. The standing stone is situated immediately to the NNW of the minor road to Corrimony on the flat ground about 220m S of the River Enrick. The cairn and associated standing stones are enclosed by a metal fence and approached across a footbridge over the ditch between the road and cairn. Another cupmarked stone, Corrimony 1, forms the capstone of the cairn and lies on the cairn structure.

Panel notes: This schist standing stone may be in its original position but the cairn, first excavated in 1830, has been excavated a number of times since and some of the standing stones have been re-erected. At present the cup marked side of the standing stone faces roughly NW. The stone is 1.50m high, 1m wide and 0.17m thick and may have been reshaped when it was first used as a standing stone as the top is triangular. There are a few shallow fissures and the stone is covered with lichen. There are 6 circular depressions, at least 4 of which are cupmarks, scattered across the lower half of the standing stone.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions