Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Duns Station

Carpenters Workshop (Period Unassigned), Goods Shed (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century), Railway Yard (19-20th Century), Smithy (Period Unassigned), Weighbridge (Period Unassigned)

Site Name Duns Station

Classification Carpenters Workshop (Period Unassigned), Goods Shed (19-20th Century), Railway Station (19-20th Century), Railway Yard (19-20th Century), Smithy (Period Unassigned), Weighbridge (Period Unassigned)

Alternative Name(s) Dunse Station

Canmore ID 95369

Site Number NT75SE 89

NGR NT 7883 5320

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/95369

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Duns
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Berwickshire
  • Former County Berwickshire

Archaeology Notes

NT75SE 89 7883 5820

For nearby granary, see NT75SE 90.

(Location cited as NT 788 532). Duns Station, opened 1849 by the North British Rly. Formerly a two-platform through station, the buildings are largely intact and consist of wooden platform shelters with awnings, that on the down platform containing the offices. The up-platform building shares a wall with the wooden goods shed. The wooden buildings are now occupied by a joiner and a blacksmith.

J R Hume 1977.

This intermediate station on the Reston-St Boswells secondary line of the (former) North British Rly was opened (as Dunse Station) by that company on 13 August 1849. It was renamed Duns Station in May 1883 and became the terminal of the remnant branch from Reston with the closure of the St Boswells-Duns portion of the line on 13 August 1948. It closed to regular passenger traffic (with the remnant of the line) on 10 September 1951.

Information from RCAHMS (RJCM), 29 February 2000.

G Daniels and L Dench 1980; R V J Butt 1995.

This complex forms what remains of the former railway station at Duns. At the time of the RCAHMS photographic survey, February 1998, a number of largely derelict railway buildings were still standing. These included the former Passenger Railway Station, the Goods Railway Station, the Weighbridge House and office. These buildings were largely wooden-clad single-storeyed buildings. At the heart of the complex was the main Passenger Station Building, with piended slate roof, and additional bay with canopy. This survey was conducted following a proposal to demolition the timber framed Goods Shed, passenger awnings, and the Weighbridge.

Visited by RCAHMS(MKO), February 1998.

Activities

Sbc Note

Visibility: This is an upstanding building.

Information from Scottish Borders Council.

Sbc Note

Formerly two platform through station. Consists of wooden platform shelters with awnings. Up plat-form goods shed, down platform offices. 1849.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions