Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

St Andrews, Golf Place, Royal And Ancient Golf Club

Clubhouse (19th Century)

Site Name St Andrews, Golf Place, Royal And Ancient Golf Club

Classification Clubhouse (19th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Union Club

Canmore ID 92225

Site Number NO51NW 139

NGR NO 50502 17090

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/92225

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2020.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images


First 100 images shown. See the Collections panel (below) for a link to all digital images.

Administrative Areas

  • Council Fife
  • Parish St Andrews And St Leonards
  • Former Region Fife
  • Former District North East Fife
  • Former County Fife

Summary Record (6 June 2016)

The Royal and Ancient Clubhouse began as a simple H- plan building by architect George Rae, opening in 1854. Over the succeding years a large number of alterations have taken place, with the first enlarging of the Big room with a bay window in 1866, the billiard room on the north side by Jesse Hall and David Henry neatly matching Rae's scheme was added in 1873 and the alterations to accomodate card rooms and the now first floor dining room in 1882 by John Milne. James Gillespie extended the eastern portion in 1889 to accommodate extra staff and Gillespie and Scott added a new floor above the Big room which created the famous balcony overlooking the fairways of The Old Course. In the 1920's the north east corner was raised and the new entrance to the basement locker rooms added in 2002.

Information from the Royal and Ancient Golf Club 2016.

Architecture Notes

NO51NW 139.00 50502 17090

NO51NW 139.01 NO 5049 1708 War Memorial

NO51NW 139.02 Centred NO 5007 1717 Golf Course (The Old Course)

NO51NW 139.03 Centred NO 5005 1748 Golf Course (The New Course)

Architect: George Ray, 1854

John Laurie Fogo - additions, 1866

Peddie and Kinnear - additions and alterations, 1879

John Milne - additions and alterations, 1880

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions