Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Callander, Station Road, Callander Station

Railway Station (19-20th Century), Signal Box(S) (19-20th Century)

Site Name Callander, Station Road, Callander Station

Classification Railway Station (19-20th Century), Signal Box(S) (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) Callander (Dreadnought) Station

Canmore ID 88265

Site Number NN60NW 68

NGR NN 62663 08124

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/88265

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Stirling
  • Parish Callander
  • Former Region Central
  • Former District Stirling
  • Former County Perthshire

Archaeology Notes

NN60NW 68 62663 08124

For predecessor station (NN 6248 0768), see NN60NW 72.00.

A third-class station situated at the W end of the village of Callander, where the Callander branch of Railway terminates

Name Book (Perthshire), 1865 (It is likely that the OS recorder/surveyor has mixed this station up with that at the E end of the village, NN60NW 72)

This station had bays at either end of both up and down platforms and a passing loop on the up side. The footbridge was crowned by a small clock tower until 1947 when the bridge was replaced following an accident. As reconstructed in 1883, the station had a long facade facing the forecourt and three gabled transepts; the upper structures were of painted timber and included elaborately-sculptured eaves.

C E J Fryer 1989.

Callander (Dreadnought) Station opened circa 1870 for the Callander & Oban Railway which was later absorbed into the Caledonian Railway, LMS and since 1947 British Railways and closed November 1965. Of mainly wooden construction, the station along with the ancillary buildings was demolished to make way for a car park.

Information from RCAHMS (DE) November 1995

This intermediate station on the Stirling-Oban (main) line of the (former) Caledonian Rly. was opened (by the Callander and Oban Rly.) on 1 June 1870, supplanting an earlier station situated to the east. It closed to regular passenger traffic on 1 November 1965.

R V J Butt 1995.

Architecture Notes

Probably opened 1870. Rebuilt 1883. Closed 1.11.1965

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions