Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Melrose, Palma Place, Railway Station

House (Period Unassigned), Public Convenience (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Site Name Melrose, Palma Place, Railway Station

Classification House (Period Unassigned), Public Convenience (Period Unassigned), Railway Station (19-20th Century)

Alternative Name(s) The Waverley Line; Melrose Station; Edinburgh To Hawick Branch Railway

Canmore ID 88156

Site Number NT53SW 68.01

NGR NT 54683 33912

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/88156

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2018.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Scottish Borders, The
  • Parish Melrose
  • Former Region Borders
  • Former District Ettrick And Lauderdale
  • Former County Roxburghshire

Archaeology Notes

NT53SW 68.01 54683 33912

EXTERNAL REFERENCES

(Location cited as NT 547 339). Opened 1849 by the North British Rly. A very remarkable two-platform through station with the main offices on the down side. These are contained in a 2-storey building in Flemish style with the entrance from the street at ground-floor level and from the platform at first floor level. The remarkable features are the platform awnings, which are of wooden construction and slope up at an angle of about 30 degrees towards the track. They are supported on cast-iron columns, with lotus capitals, and there are curved wooden brackets to take the weight of the overhang. There is a cast-iron-framed wooden goods shed with a common wall with the down-platform awning. On the up platform is a cast-iron urinal in a remarkably good state of preservation.

J R Hume 1976.

This intermediate station on the Edinburgh-Carlisle (main) line ('the 'Waverley route') of the North British Rly. was opened on 20 February 1849 and closed to regular passenger traffic (with the line as a whole) on 6 January 1969.

R V J Butt 1995.

The railway station is situated at the W end of Palma Place, off Dingleton Road (Brae). Th down platform building, awning and good shed were removed when the A6091 was widened. The main up-platform buildings and awning survive in use as a restaurant and shops.

Visited by RCAHMS (DE), August 2006

Activities

Publication Account (1998)

The opening of the railway that transformed the town figure 15. One of the few remaining original railway buildings in Scotland, Melrose north platform is still standing and retaining much of its former dignity, although now fronting onto the by-pass instead of the Waverley line. Opened in 1849, the town was now to become a major visitor attraction and a home for people who worked as far afield as the capital. This upsurge in the town's prosperity is reflected not only in the expanded townscape, but also in the later nineteenth-century buildings that sit with their older counterparts in the historic core of Melrose.

Information from ‘Historic Melrose: The Archaeological Implications of Development’ (1998).

Sbc Note

Visibility: Standing structure or monument.

Information from Scottish Borders Council

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions