Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Braal Castle

Castle (Medieval)

Site Name Braal Castle

Classification Castle (Medieval)

Alternative Name(s) Brawl Castle; The Keep

Canmore ID 8546

Site Number ND16SW 5

NGR ND 1379 6011

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8546

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
Canmore Disclaimer. © Copyright and database right 2019.

Toggle Aerial | View on large map

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Halkirk
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND16SW 5 1379 6011.

(ND 1379 6011) Braal Castle (NR) (remains of)

OS 6" map, (1970)

The ruins of Braal Castle are situated at the rear of the present mansion, on the N bank of the Thurso River. The tower is a rectangular, rubble-built structure measuring externally some 35 by 37ft and existing to the level of the top of the second storey. The walls are from 8 to 10ft in thickness. The entrance door is on the first floor level through the SW angle and just within it the staircase rises to the right in the thickness of the wall.

The castle probably dates from the 14th century. In 1375 or 1376, Robert II granted to his son David Stewart, the Castle of Brathwell and all the lands thereof. In 1547, the castle was in the possession of George, Earl of Caithness.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92; RCAHMS 1911, visited 1910

Braal Castle, a roofless shell as described by the previous authorities, and now in danger of collapse.

Visited by OS (N K B) 15 February 1982

Braal Castle. Structure conforms to OS description, but not entered as in a dangerous state of dilapidation.

R J Mercer, NMRS MS/828/19, 1995

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions