Accessibility

Font Size

100% 150% 200%

Background Colour

Default Contrast
Close Reset

Thurso Castle

Castle (17th Century)

Site Name Thurso Castle

Classification Castle (17th Century)

Canmore ID 8504

Site Number ND16NW 9

NGR ND 1244 6890

Datum OSGB36 - NGR

Permalink http://canmore.org.uk/site/8504

Ordnance Survey licence number 100057073. All rights reserved.
© Copyright and database right 2017.

Digital Images

Administrative Areas

  • Council Highland
  • Parish Thurso
  • Former Region Highland
  • Former District Caithness
  • Former County Caithness

Archaeology Notes

ND16NW 9.00 1244 6890

ND16NW 9.01 ND 12465 68573 Lodge; Gateway

ND16NW 9.02 ND 1277 6937 Folly

(ND 1244 6890) Thurso Castle (NAT)

on site of (NAT) Castle (NR)

OS 6" map, (1971)

Thurso Castle is a magnificent building built in 1664, repaired and enlarged in 1806 and 1835, and is at present undergoing extensive repairs, which, when completed, will show none of the old building to the fore.

Name Book 1872.

This castle no longer exists. Erected in 1660 by George, Earl of Caithness, it was removed to make way for the existing castle built about 1875. The old mansion was a fine example of the Scottish style of its date.

D MacGibbon and T Ross 1887-92.

There is no trace of the original castle. The present castle, built about 1872, is now in ruins, othe roof having been removed about 11 years ago (Information from Hon R M Sinclair, Thurso East to OS)

Revised at 1/2500.

Visited by OS (E G C) 18 April 1962.

No change to the previous field report.

Visited by OS (J M) 1 October 1981.

References

MyCanmore Image Contributions


Contribute an Image

MyCanmore Text Contributions